Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalUmp
Quote:
did you guys hear the press conference with the umpires? they are trying to weassel their way out of it. they said the saw the ball "change direction" on the replays. they are so full of it. why dont they just admit they blew it?
THis has to be the dumbest fu**ing post I have ever read. Pull your head out of your @ss and get a clue. Do you really thnk they are going to go out there and say "Hey we f'd up!"???
are you a big d***k? why wouldn't they istead of dancing around. i'm sure your a great umpire an dont make mistakes, and by the way i have a clue, jerk.
But your keyboard obviously doesn't have a shift key.
Official Forum Member

Note to the rest of the board....don't pay any attention to "yankeesfan"....according to him, nothing is ever the player's fault. Everything the umpires do is wrong. Don't even give him the courtesy of a response and he'll leave, much like the rat he probably is.
Official Forum Member

To me, whether or not the ball was in the dirt is irrelevant. That’s a judgment which I cannot fault a PU (without the benefit of replay) for missing.
What is relevant is the fact that the PU did not respect HIS OWN CALL.
How can any official expect game participants and fans to respect his authority if he himself does not respect his own judgment (as demonstrated by the fact that he changed his mind on a call that he had clearly and correctly made)?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
There is one slow motion replay where it DOES look as if the ball changes direction, from the ground up into the glove.
it changed directions because it hit the webbing of his glove. there wasn't even a spec of dirt that came up, nothing what so ever. usually thats the best indication, but they didn't mention that.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by rbmartin
To me, whether or not the ball was in the dirt is irrelevant. That’s a judgment which I cannot fault a PU (without the benefit of replay) for missing.
How can any official expect game participants and fans to respect his authority if he himself does not respect his own judgment (as demonstrated by the fact that he changed his mind on a call that he had clearly and correctly made)?
What are you talking about? He IMMEDIATELY signaled that the ball was in play with his right hand extended out and then he signaled a swinging strike, NOT an out. As the BR headed for first, Eddings trailed him up the line. He knew what he had called.
Official Forum Member

I think your exactly right....the press conference obviously made him look like he screwed up. Even if he blew the call he should have stood by it. Who was the third guy at the conference?
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
no way that hit the dirt. are you guys watching a different game? horrible call. the umpire called him out even though he said he didn't, it clearly showed an out call. or maybe the umpire was just trying to catch a fly.
How are the Yankees doing this playoff season?
how long did it take you to think of this one? great job.
Makes my day that $200 million isn't enough to buy a World Series.

The Yankees lose. THHHHHHHEEEEE Yankees lose.
another original, boy your good. must be an indians fan.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
Note to the rest of the board....don't pay any attention to "yankeesfan"....according to him, nothing is ever the player's fault. Everything the umpires do is wrong. Don't even give him the courtesy of a response and he'll leave, much like the rat he probably is.
i am an umpire myself, and what you are saying is not true what so ever. i would stick by officials and umpires all day long, but its hard to cover this up with all these replays. they dont lie.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 10:55pm

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
did you guys hear the press conference with the umpires? they are trying to weassel their way out of it. they said the saw the ball "change direction" on the replays. they are so full of it. why dont they just admit they blew it?
THis has to be the dumbest fu**ing post I have ever read. Pull your head out of your @ss and get a clue. Do you really thnk they are going to go out there and say "Hey we f'd up!"???
are you a big d***k? why wouldn't they istead of dancing around. i'm sure your a great umpire an dont make mistakes, and by the way i have a clue, jerk.
Hey yankee doodle, are you really an umpire? When was the last time you went up to a coach after the game and told him how you screwed him out of a victory? Especially on a close a play as this was? I can't believe your ripping the umpires for a call that they had to make in live action, not after a series of slow motion replays. Yeah, it was a dumb post, and I should know, I make them all the time.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey yankee doodle, are you really an umpire? When was the last time you went up to a coach after the game and told him how you screwed him out of a victory? Especially on a close a play as this was? I can't believe your ripping the umpires for a call that they had to make in live action, not after a series of slow motion replays. Yeah, it was a dumb post, and I should know, I make them all the time.
i am not ripping the umpires, dont make that response to me. if the coach has something to say about a call i made and he swears up and down i missed it i am not afraid to say "coach, if i missed it, i apologize". i guess i have been lucky so far that i have not blown a call that directly affects a team from wining or losing like the situation tonight. we get paid peanuts, they make big money.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

TRAP

The mechanics are a little quirky, BUT he did not say HE's OUT, the ball seems to have changed direction OR at the very least brushed the gorund on a trap

Catcher --- TAG HIM DUMMY
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly a catch, no change of direction, but the PU does not have replays at his disposal. But he clearly gave an OUT signal. And the whole crew pooched this one as well.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWL
The Yankees are losing because of the curse of A-Rod. Not because of some controversial call in ALDS.
i do agree with that. i want soriano back myself. A-Rod puts up big numbers, but is not a winner like jeter.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by afrothunda
I think your exactly right....the press conference obviously made him look like he screwed up. Even if he blew the call he should have stood by it. Who was the third guy at the conference?
The third guy,if I'm not mistaken,was the
supervisor of officials for MLB.Lucky for
him, he wasn't in St.Louis,huh?
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rbmartin
What are you talking about? He IMMEDIATELY signaled that the ball was in play with his right hand extended out and then he signaled a swinging strike, NOT an out. As the BR headed for first, Eddings trailed him up the line. He knew what he had called.
Yup. He knew what he called. The possible criticism here is either (1) bad judgment call because the ball was not in the dirt or (2) bad mechanic. On number 2, is banging down the pumped fist really the proper mechanic for swinging strike? I thought most use a diferent mechanic for strike and then pumped fist for out, which is what the confusion is here. Is Eddings claiming that his mechanic is to pump the fist for strike and verbally call "out"?

Another thing I heard during the press conference is that "no catch" is a common mechanic in that situation. Anyone care to comment?