The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 05:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

I had this situation in a varsity baseball game today. I just want to see what you guys would have ruled.

High School game (NF rules), the batter pops up the ball to the first base line. Both P and 1B come up to make the possible catch. We have 2 outs, and while the P and 1B move up to make the catch, the BR puts a block, much like in football towards the 1st Baseman. The BR came slightly inside the foul line to make the contact. The BR made no attempt to avoid the contact, and the 1B did not see the runner at all. About the same time, the P catches the ball for the 3rd out. What is your call?

I will tell you what I did after your responses. BTW, I was the U1 in an 3 umpire game. For those that do not know, U1 is on the first baseline with no one on like this situation.

Thanks in advance
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well...

Well I don't know about you guys, but in a three man crew the PU has the fly balls and should have had this call all the way. (Of course that may have been the sitch here also, it just wasn't clear)

It sounds like to me BR made a definite attempt to interfere thus he is out. You cannot interfere with a fielder attempting to make the play on a batted ball.

Even though F1 and F3 may both be moving and we can only protect one, in this situation either could have had the catch. In addition, F1 is always taught to let the other infielders make the play if possible, so I would protect F3 initially.

Also, if he made a definite football tackle, I would probably send him packing. Malicious contact.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Apr 21, 2001, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Could'nt agree with DaviDB more. No matter what position you were in or who had the call. From your discription given, it is hard to believe that any other call could be made than what DaviDB has stated.
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

By Jove, I think you've got it!

I second the motion!
Old Sun Apr 22, 2001, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

And from Oregon

David has nailed this one.

Any other call would be horrible.

Great job David.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Another vote for David

This is PU's call all the way. Hopefully U1 didn't poach the call.

GB
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 12:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Why?

For those of you that say this is the PU's call all the way, give me a NF reference that says that. Because according to the NF any umpire can call interference or obstruction that sees it. And that is specificially on page 27, under #10. So I have to disagree that the BU cannot make that call.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

My Ruling on the play

I ruled malicious contact by the BR and ejected him from the game.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I had this situation in a varsity baseball game today. I just want to see what you guys would have ruled.

High School game (NF rules), the batter pops up the ball to the first base line. Both P and 1B come up to make the possible catch. We have 2 outs, and while the P and 1B move up to make the catch, the BR puts a block, much like in football towards the 1st Baseman. The BR came slightly inside the foul line to make the contact. The BR made no attempt to avoid the contact, and the 1B did not see the runner at all. About the same time, the P catches the ball for the 3rd out. What is your call?

I will tell you what I did after your responses. BTW, I was the U1 in an 3 umpire game. For those that do not know, U1 is on the first baseline with no one on like this situation.

Thanks in advance
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

The answer to this is right from the FED rule book

FED rule 2-21-1b

Offensive interference is an act (physical or verbal) by the team at bat:

b. when a runner creates Malicious Contact with any fielder, with or without the ball, in or out of the baseline.

the BR puts a block, much like in football towards the 1st Baseman.

Sounds pretty clear cut to me. Violation of 2-21-1b - We have interference and an ejection.

Pete Booth

Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Why?

I don't think anyone is saying BU cannot make the call.

However, according to NF mechanics, PU has routine flyball in the infield, thus he is covering the catch, and PU also has fair/foul so he is covering fair/foul.

BU is moving in case of a possible play toward second or a throw to first if the ball is dropped.

He may see and call the play as interference; however, since PU is covering the play, PU should have the call.

Thanks
David

Quote:
For those of you that say this is the PU's call all the way, give me a NF reference that says that. Because according to the NF any umpire can call interference or obstruction that sees it. And that is specificially on page 27, under #10. So I have to disagree that the BU cannot make that call.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 09:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Re: Not what you said

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
This is PU's call all the way. Hopefully U1 didn't poach the call.
That is not what you said. Either the BU can make the call or the BU cannot. Now it is the PU's call first, but that never is a rule that the BU can never make an interference call. It does not say that anywhere in the NF Umpires Manual.

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
I don't think anyone is saying BU cannot make the call.

However, according to NF mechanics, PU has routine flyball in the infield, thus he is covering the catch, and PU also has fair/foul so he is covering fair/foul.

BU is moving in case of a possible play toward second or a throw to first if the ball is dropped.

He may see and call the play as interference; however, since PU is covering the play, PU should have the call.

Thanks
David
And also, how do you have interference and the ball is already caught?
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Rut,

We are simply talking about base responsibility here, Bubba.

It would be over officious for the U1 to get involved, with out request, on this play.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 02:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

NF Umpire's Manual.

If that is over officious, then you need to read the NF Umpire's Manual on page 27. Then you tell me if the NF (which this game was under) thinks that is the case. You be the judge, I am just passing along the information.

Now that might be what you do in other codes, and that is fine, but that does not apply to every level. NF has rules and mechanics that are not under other rulebooks. Just the truth.

Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
We are simply talking about base responsibility here, Bubba.

It would be over officious for the U1 to get involved, with out request, on this play.
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Rutledge....

Other states don't necessarily use the FED mechanics manual...Down in Bama we don't. On this play, the PU should be the one to make the catch and interference calls...Makes more sense to me than U1 doing it.

You asked how we would do it, we're telling ya.

Will
Old Mon Apr 23, 2001, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

OK, Rut . . .

Time to hit you with this . . . in 1999 and 2000 I scored 100% on FED Test II. I say this ONLY to assure you that I kinda understand FED rules.

I also for the past two years have been the trainer for our 1st and 2nd year umpires. I say that ONLY to let you know that I have a little experience in TEACHING FED.

As in Alabama, Portland, OR uses the Fed Manual ONLY as a reference guide. This is one reason we are allowed to wear pleated pants.

Now Rut, you can ask for and quote citations from now till ever. You can use this device to "show" how smart you are.

As a group we simply offered to answer your question. And that we did. I am not here to argue, I am not here to debate.

I am simply here to learn.

Be rest assured, I will not trouble you by answering ANY of your posts again. Life goes on son . . . with you or without you.
Closed Thread