The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 05:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
He had a very consistent strike zone, anything thrown through a dixe cup sized hole, thigh high, across the middle, was a strike. Anything else was a ball.

The stance was a squat, with arms straight down by his side, hands in a fist, behind his legs. He looked very motionless on the pitch, but, the dixie cup zone was just too tight. Both pitchers were visibly frustrated, but to their credit kept their composure.

The LFU blew the HR call, and he was very close to the wall. You have to be when you are in a 6 man crew on a 200 foot field. The PU could have gotten the crew together and possibly got that one correct, although 3BU seemed to agree with LFU. HR miss call did not have much bearing on the game since it did not end with one team up by 1.

Oh, a strike zone the size of a baseball?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 06:00pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

Oh, a strike zone the size of a baseball?
Rich, it seemed to be 17" x 20".
5th and 6th inning it got wider.
mick
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

I won't waste anymore time with my LL opinions. Go to e-team-sleaze to read them if you want.

All I'm going to say is that what those 6 gentlemen did last night just makes LL umpires look worse than ever.

I've thought about it and I really wish that LL would institute their own, unique uniforms so LL umpires won't wear the same uniforms as we do! It's embarassing even for us on the big diamond!
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by briancurtin
Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
I wonder about the different mechanics on strike calls...the PU would point for a called strike, but give the hammer for a swinging strike (while saying 'thats a strike!' *eyeroll*)

why do it differently? use one and stick to it!
gerry davis uses the hammer for a called strike and stands up and does the point for a swinging strike

(note: could have been someone other than GD, but whoever it was is using the GD stance)
That was surely not the GD stance the guy was using. It was, ah, squat, slump, ah, I'm not sure what the hell he was doing. But he had the routine down.

Kind of like this, Squat, slump, announce "thats a strike", squat bring both arms up simultaneously, announce the count, sqat, slump, "that a stike". He had the routine down pretty dang good.
i never said the guy on LLWS used GD stance, im talking about an MLB umpire using GD (probably GD) that did the different strike calls...
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mattmets
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
The stance was a squat, with arms straight down by his side, hands in a fist, behind his legs. He looked very motionless on the pitch, but, the dixie cup zone was just too tight. Both pitchers were visibly frustrated, but to their credit kept their composure.
Similar to a Randy Marsh stance? I didn't see the game....
I would have to go check umpire schedule to see when Randy is behind the plate and then hope that it is on TV, to see if it compares. But I think I have better things to do. It's an odd stance I have never seen before, and a strke zone I have never seen before either.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
I won't waste anymore time with my LL opinions. Go to e-team-sleaze to read them if you want.

All I'm going to say is that what those 6 gentlemen did last night just makes LL umpires look worse than ever.

I've thought about it and I really wish that LL would institute their own, unique uniforms so LL umpires won't wear the same uniforms as we do! It's embarassing even for us on the big diamond!
Ozzy,

For you to continually bash e-teamz here, and then post over 1,150 posts there, don't you think you are a bit of a hypocrite?

If you don't care for LL, that's cool as I have told you before. But since you are no longer involved with the LL organization, why the crusade to crucify all others who are?

I work LL games on the big diamond. I have for years. I belong to an association that insists on excellence through training. We meet twice a month from May to August to discuss mechanics and proper rules applications. We meet once a month for the rest of the year. At least 70% of our members work FED games.

There are some that join and show no improvement, but they are weeded out over time. I am just as critical of this years LLWS umpires as anyone else. They DO NOT represent all of us that work LL games, and not all of us that work LL games work small ball.

I guess I am asking you to consider not throwing all LL umpires into the same boat.

Tim.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900

Ozzy,

For you to continually bash e-teamz here, and then post over 1,150 posts there, don't you think you are a bit of a hypocrite?
Until recently, most of those posts were on the FED/NCAA board from that site.

Quote:
If you don't care for LL, that's cool as I have told you before. But since you are no longer involved with the LL organization, why the crusade to crucify all others who are?
It is probably because the LL'ers invade and take over every board with their stupid garbage. LL umpires and LL coaches even post resolutions on the FED/NCAA side because they can read a rule book. The problem is they eqate everything to LL.

The other reality is LL is not real baseball! It is a training ground for kids, coaches and umpires. I never had a problem with the kids - to them this may be the only baseball they will ever see. But coaches, parents and umpires of LL seem to think that they are equal to MLB. Most of them never even played HS ball! You see it here on this board - LL'ers are the "know it alls" especially the Rats!

My attitude also has a lot to do with personal feelings toward the organization. Let's just leave it with when I played over 40 years ago, it really was a great organization.

Quote:
I work LL games on the big diamond. I have for years. I belong to an association that insists on excellence through training. We meet twice a month from May to August to discuss mechanics and proper rules applications. We meet once a month for the rest of the year. At least 70% of our members work FED games.

There are some that join and show no improvement, but they are weeded out over time. I am just as critical of this years LLWS umpires as anyone else. They DO NOT represent all of us that work LL games, and not all of us that work LL games work small ball.
That's good. I too belong to a 2nd organization that has a LL side. The UIC there trys to train and weed out the bad ones. Those of us from the FED board invite the LL trainees and vets to our sessions for the 90' diamond guys. We set up double scenerios so the LL'ers can see how it should be done on the 60' diamond. But even there, the attitude of the LL'ers rises like the stench of a swamp!

Quote:
I guess I am asking you to consider not throwing all LL umpires into the same boat.

Tim.
Point taken.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Your attention please!

Last train to Geezerville, Myopia Village and Donttheymakeitin6XLtown is now boarding on track number 7.

All aboard!
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
Your attention please!

Last train to Geezerville, Myopia Village and Donttheymakeitin6XLtown is now boarding on track number 7.

All aboard!
Kyle,

Are you the conductor, porter, or engineer on the old blind fat man's train?

Tim.

Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Ticket taker. How far are you going?
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
Ticket taker. How far are you going?
All the way to Williamsport.......
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

And he signaled strikes/outs like a freaking SOFTBALL UMPIRE!!!

What is the difference between a "freaking softball umpire's" strike/out signal compaired to a baseball umpire's strike/out signal?
Old Sat Aug 27, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by U of M Sam

What is the difference between a "freaking softball umpire's" strike/out signal compaired to a baseball umpire's strike/out signal?
A baseball umpire signals strikes by pointing away from himself with his arm extended, or by making a hammering motion with his right fist.

A softball umpire signals strikes by waving his fist over his head like a qu%%r hailing a cab!!

Everybody look at me, look at me! It was a strike! It really, really was a strike!

LMAO!

Tim.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Because it's a softball signal, it looks awful, has no personality to it and it an unnatural arm movement.

Quote:

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Aug 28, 2005, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmp56
Quote:

A baseball umpire signals strikes by pointing away from himself with his arm extended, or by making a hammering motion with his right fist.

A softball umpire signals strikes by waving his fist over his head like a qu%%r hailing a cab!!

Everybody look at me, look at me! It was a strike! It really, really was a strike!

LMAO!

Tim.
Hey Tim.
I've done both, and both at a national level (NOT LL, however). I know some good softball guys to get you hooked up with, but first they will have to see if they can break you of some bad habits from baseball.

Now I have to go out and catch a cab. Oooooooooh, taxi! Pleeeeeeeeze stop Mr. Taxi!!!!!