The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Gol darnnit someteims I fergit how gol darn fun baseball cann b.

One of my favs was many moon ago, SR. Babe Ruth state tourney. Semifinals. Towns are archrivals. Pitchers are throwin BBs. Pitcher fer Team A is wearin a flesh-colored ACE sleeve on throwin elbow. Can't even tell it from my position as PU.

Team B coach decides in the fifth that he's gonna raise a S!@t storm about it. I tell him it's legal. He pulls out the rule book and says, show me.

I just happened to know which page 9.01(c)3 is located...actually it was a heavenly miracle and turned to the page. I said, "Here it is coach, read it on your way out to the bus." He said, no you read it...I told him he could just read along while I recited it.

"That doesn't say he can wear it," coach sez.

"Oh yes it does. Read it again during your minute to get off the field..."

Of course now he wants to go to the Tournament Director, files a protest. Cost him $50 to file the protest, only gets money back if he's right.

TD and I split the $50, and he went to the bus.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Ecurebel,

"batter hits the ball down third base line before the bag the fielder reaches over the line in to foul ball territory while his feet were still in fair territory and touches the ball before the bag with the ball being in fall ball territory. i call it a fould ball and the coach blows up."

Once a ball is called "fall", it can't be called "fould" unless it directly follows Summer Ball.

In Ct. we never let teams play Fall Ball after playing Summer Ball, unless the ball hits the bag. Then its all Fair.
Looky, Looky Ecurebel went back and edited his fall ball post.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gobama84
Quote:
Ecurebel,

"batter hits the ball down third base line before the bag the fielder reaches over the line in to foul ball territory while his feet were still in fair territory and touches the ball before the bag with the ball being in fall ball territory. i call it a fould ball and the coach blows up."

Once a ball is called "fall", it can't be called "fould" unless it directly follows Summer Ball.

In Ct. we never let teams play Fall Ball after playing Summer Ball, unless the ball hits the bag. Then its all Fair.
In the words of the famous and hilarious character, Roseann, Roseanna Dana,

"NEVER MIND"
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Ecurebel,

ECU must offer Remedial Spelling during the summer session. Next, he can try Basic Capital Letters, except that might be too much English for a non-English major. How'd this goober get in college?
Old Thu Jul 14, 2005, 10:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChapJim
Quote:
Quote:
Ecurebel,

ECU must offer Remedial Spelling during the summer session. Next, he can try Basic Capital Letters, except that might be too much English for a non-English major. How'd this goober get in college?
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Just when you thought you had heard them all...

Adult league; American League Rules.

Batter comes to the plate and gets a walk. Defensive coach calls time and asks if R1 reported in. I said "No". The coach says that R1 should be out for batting out of order because all substitutes must report in to the umpire. I tell him that R1 is termed an "unreported substitute" and is a legal substitute once he takes his place in the batter's box; he is not required to report to me and is not out. He insists and I repeat. The coach says it's in the rule book, so I call my partner over and he says the same thing. The coach wants us to get a rule book and we say no. The coach then wants to protest the game (even though they were winning 6-1 in the bottom of the 6th). We confirmed the option to protest with the coach and announced it.

The assignor said thanks ($75 protest fee) and that we would be invited out for drinks...
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ecurebel,

In the words of the famous and hilarious character, Roseann, Roseanna Dana,

"NEVER MIND"
Actually, that was Emily Litella, one of SNL's Gilda Radner's other famous characters.

[Edited by GarthB on Jul 18th, 2005 at 12:21 PM]
Old Tue Jul 19, 2005, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F

Batter comes to the plate and gets a walk. Defensive coach calls time and asks if R1 reported in. I said "No". The coach says that R1 should be out for batting out of order because all substitutes must report in to the umpire. I tell him that R1 is termed an "unreported substitute" and is a legal substitute once he takes his place in the batter's box; he is not required to report to me and is not out. He insists and I repeat. The coach says it's in the rule book, so I call my partner over and he says the same thing. The coach wants us to get a rule book and we say no. The coach then wants to protest the game (even though they were winning 6-1 in the bottom of the 6th). We confirmed the option to protest with the coach and announced it.

The assignor said thanks ($75 protest fee) and that we would be invited out for drinks...
I was at a watering hole last week and an umpire was bragging about getting an out this way. I tried to convince him he was dead wrong, but Smitty knows best...
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew F

I was at a watering hole last week and an umpire was bragging about getting an out this way. I tried to convince him he was dead wrong, but Smitty knows best...
Depends. I called a 13U Super Series tourney Monday and Tuesday and an unreported sub was an out and ejected. So maybe you were the smitty in that conversation. 8-) I agree normally it would not be but in this case it was.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
wait a sec...

MABL and MSBL (adult hardball leagues) both have this rule...

their website is: http://www.msblnational.com/main.asp...n=doc&doc_id=4
---
rule 3.h
3.h All teams must announce offensive additions, substitutions, and/or changes to the home plate umpire AND opposing team manager and/or scorekeeper. Only after this has been done will the added player be deemed a legal substitution.

If a team fails to announce an offensive addition/change, the player will be called out as soon as he occupies the batterÂ’s box and the lineup will revert back to the lineup in effect prior to the player entering the game. The unannounced player will not have officially entered the offensive lineup and is therefore still available offensively even though an out has been assessed.

Example: Team A is batting 12 players and wishes to add a player to the bottom of the lineup (Player 13). Player 13 walks to the plate and is not announced to either the opposing team or home plate umpire. Once this player occupies his position in the batterÂ’s box, the umpire will immediately call him out for an illegal substitution and it will then go back to the number 1 position in the lineup. Player 13 is still available to be added to the lineup legally.
---

Sometimes I think this is Calvinball and not baseball.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1

I was at a watering hole last week and an umpire was bragging about getting an out this way. I tried to convince him he was dead wrong, but Smitty knows best... [/B]
Depends. I called a 13U Super Series tourney Monday and Tuesday and an unreported sub was an out and ejected. So maybe you were the smitty in that conversation. 8-) I agree normally it would not be but in this case it was. [/B][/QUOTE]

Jim,
(Edited to remove first paragraph, as your smiley did not come through correctly, and I mistakenly took offense...sometimes just gotta read everything a couple of times)

It was a regular OBR based game with safety rules. OBR specifically in 3.06 says manager SHALL report subs, etc. However 3.08 deals with what happens if manager breaks rule 3.06 and doesn't report. An out is not an option in OBR. From MLB.com....

The manager shall immediately notify the umpire in chief of any substitution and shall state to the umpire in chief the substitute's place in the batting order. Players for whom substitutions have been made may remain with their team on the bench or may "warm up" pitchers. If a manager substitutes another player for himself, he may continue to direct his team from the bench or the coach's box. Umpires should not permit players for whom substitutes have been made, and who are permitted to remain on the bench, to address any remarks to any opposing player or manager, or to the umpires.
The umpire in chief, after having been notified, shall immediately announce, or cause to be announced, each substitution.
(a) If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered as having entered the game when_ (1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher's plate; (2) If a batter, he takes his place in the batter's box;
(3) If a fielder, he reaches the position usually occupied by the fielder he has replaced, and play commences; (4) If a runner, he takes the place of the runner he has replaced. (b) Any play made by, or on, any of the above mentioned unannounced substitutes shall be legal.

[Edited by TBBlue on Jul 21st, 2005 at 12:07 PM]