View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 21, 2005, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1

I was at a watering hole last week and an umpire was bragging about getting an out this way. I tried to convince him he was dead wrong, but Smitty knows best... [/B]
Depends. I called a 13U Super Series tourney Monday and Tuesday and an unreported sub was an out and ejected. So maybe you were the smitty in that conversation. 8-) I agree normally it would not be but in this case it was. [/B][/QUOTE]

Jim,
(Edited to remove first paragraph, as your smiley did not come through correctly, and I mistakenly took offense...sometimes just gotta read everything a couple of times)

It was a regular OBR based game with safety rules. OBR specifically in 3.06 says manager SHALL report subs, etc. However 3.08 deals with what happens if manager breaks rule 3.06 and doesn't report. An out is not an option in OBR. From MLB.com....

The manager shall immediately notify the umpire in chief of any substitution and shall state to the umpire in chief the substitute's place in the batting order. Players for whom substitutions have been made may remain with their team on the bench or may "warm up" pitchers. If a manager substitutes another player for himself, he may continue to direct his team from the bench or the coach's box. Umpires should not permit players for whom substitutes have been made, and who are permitted to remain on the bench, to address any remarks to any opposing player or manager, or to the umpires.
The umpire in chief, after having been notified, shall immediately announce, or cause to be announced, each substitution.
(a) If no announcement of a substitution is made, the substitute shall be considered as having entered the game when_ (1) If a pitcher, he takes his place on the pitcher's plate; (2) If a batter, he takes his place in the batter's box;
(3) If a fielder, he reaches the position usually occupied by the fielder he has replaced, and play commences; (4) If a runner, he takes the place of the runner he has replaced. (b) Any play made by, or on, any of the above mentioned unannounced substitutes shall be legal.

[Edited by TBBlue on Jul 21st, 2005 at 12:07 PM]