The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

My son's team's first round playoffs, I'm keeping the book.
The opposition's B1 squares to bunt, the pitch is low and outside, but PU calls strike on the attempt(it looked to me as if he did try to reach the pitch).

Here's where it gets good...

The offensive manager calls time and appeals the strike call, that B1 did not attempt to bunt. The idiot PU checks with an equally idiotic BU, who signals 'no swing!' The PU reverses his call of strike to ball!

Our manager goes out to the PU and tells him, to no avail, that it's the defense who has appeal rights, not the other way around.

Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to drumbum565
Well regardless what i would have done is say "sir that is my call it is a judgement call you can appele a judgement call sit down and shut up..... play ball"

However as far as a bunt goes i will never ask a BU for that swing question its my judgement if the bat was brought back in time.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drumbum565
Well regardless what i would have done is say "sir that is my call it is a judgement call you can appele a judgement call sit down and shut up..... play ball"

However as far as a bunt goes i will never ask a BU for that swing question its my judgement if the bat was brought back in time.
What does bringing the bat back in time have to do with anything? The batter has to offer. He can leave the bat out there.....
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Golly,

Dumbdrum . . .

You've done it again.

Learn the rules then post, Smitty.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think we can just about bank on dumbrumb posting at least one thing in each post that is either A) in contradiction to the rulebook, B) a known "Dumb-Coach-Cliche" (the kind that every 1st year ump disabuses themselves of in week 1 or 2, or their first real clinic), or C) both.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

drumbum,

just so you won't keep getting ripped a new one PLEASE read this link before posting:

http://eteamz.active.com/baseball/rules/obr/myths/
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
Quote:

What does bringing the bat back in time have to do with anything? The batter has to offer. He can leave the bat out there.....
He can?!!?!?

I started arguing this with a parent today, then realized it wasn't worth my time. From now on, I'll let them live in peaceful oblivion.

(My favorite times are still when I explain a rule to the parents, and then the umpires tell the parents the wrong rule. Can I just start handing out copies of "40 Baseball Rule Myths" to everyone?)
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

This is probaly an HTBT, but I'd like the Forum's opinion.
Batter squares with his bat waist-high. As the pitch comes in he sees it's going to be low and he bends at the knees to get down there - the bat never moving forward.
Are you calling strike under the theory that crouching down as the ball comes in lower is "holds the bat in the path of the ball" or "intent"? (2.8.1 FED; 2.00 OBR)
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]

Without debating the point. I always allow an appeal. Hey I might get a strike that way and I'm closer to the parking lot. Aside from that you're wrong.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickfriedmann
This is probaly an HTBT, but I'd like the Forum's opinion.
Batter squares with his bat waist-high. As the pitch comes in he sees it's going to be low and he bends at the knees to get down there - the bat never moving forward.
Are you calling strike under the theory that crouching down as the ball comes in lower is "holds the bat in the path of the ball" or "intent"? (2.8.1 FED; 2.00 OBR)
No better way to "steal a strike" (especially when I need one) than when the batter is bobing up and down as the pitch comes over. LOL
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robtheump Send a message via Yahoo to robtheump
Ok I rarely post here.....but please inform me Tee of this Dumbdrum,

SoCalUmp
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

1..Offense may not appeal call.

2..Strike calls may not be appealed.

3..PU who checks with his BU on a strike call is a dum-dum.

4..A BU who honors the appeal is a double-dum-dum.

Bob
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Dumdum.....
You'd tell a coach to "sit down and shut up"? Any association around here would "drum" you out for
having that kind of shi**y attitude.
I'd personally recommend a more tactful way to put
that.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 05:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:

ROTFLMAO

Keep looking for that force for you have nothing but the FARCE with you.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Fri Jul 01, 2005, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Huh? Run that by me one more time?

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
1..Offense may not appeal call.

2..Strike calls may not be appealed.

3..PU who checks with his BU on a strike call is a dum-dum.

4..A BU who honors the appeal is a double-dum-dum.

Bob
5..BU who reverses original strike call, on an offensive appeal, is a triple-dum-dum...or is it drum-bum? Lah me.