The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
After a shot I took last Thurs, I'm thinking now about getting the hockey style mask, instead of my regular mask.

RH batter, I'm in the slot, he foul tips an inside pitch and it comes straight back and hits my mask, knocks it off my face by about 4 inches and throws my neck and head back as its turning on my face. Hardest shot I've ever taken. Signaled foul, puilled of my mask to check that everything seemed okay, shook my head and went back at it. Inning ends five minutes later and I can feel my neck starting to tighten up. By the end of the game, maybe 35-40 minutes later, I'm having trouble turning my head. Was stiff all day Friday, okay enough by Friday night to call again, and Sat also.

My question is would a hockey style mask have helped in an angled shot like that, mainly would it keep your head and neck from being jerked as badly. I've taken plenty of shots to the face, but that one was the worst thus far.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

JMHO, but helmets are just different.

Up side: Way better view of things. Better protection, as the impact is difused over a greater area.

Down side: It's very loud inside the helmet. Your voice is trapped inside, so calling strikes all day gets a bit old. Foul balls are VERY loud. Conversely, you can't hear outside noises quite as well. Plus, it's hotter in there.

Borrow one, and decide for yourself. Me, I use my helmet only for backstops that go over my head, so I can protect the top of my dome.

p.s. next time you get blasted in the face, stand straight up, stick you right arm out toward center field, and call "First Down!". Always gets a laugh.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt

p.s. next time you get blasted in the face, stand straight up, stick you right arm out toward center field, and call "First Down!". Always gets a laugh.

Thats classic. Wish I'd thought of that on Saturday.

Dixie 9-12 game, I'm friends with both sets of coaches. Batter fouls into the catchers mask, then next pitch, he hits me in the mask with a foul (not nearly as hard as Thurs.) I step back, point at the first base coach and then at the batter, say to the coach "How much did you pay him for that one?" Batter thought it was hilarious, catcher got a good laugh too.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Took three directly in the helmet last week, including two right between the eyes. I didn't feel a thing. I won't go back to the mask. My usual partner goes back and forth and I can't understand it, but once I switched, I was sold.

Ed H
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I recently bought an All-Star MVP2200 brand new on Ebay for $50. Best $50 I've spent on gear since I started umpiring.
I would never go back to a mask, unless they made me (for not wearing a hat as I have heard they do in other areas).

The view out of a hockey style mask is much better than out of a mask. Not only are the bars slightly farther apart from top to bottom, the addtional peripheral view makes it feel like you can see everything.

The hockey style mask is curved much more so than a mask, so the ball is deflected much better. This translates into less force being directed to your face. I took a fairly hard shot straight back on the hockey style mask and dead center. The only problem I had was that I didn't have it adjusted quite tight enough and I felt more of the force on my jaw than I should have. I have since adjusted it for a better fit. No problems after that. The hockey style mask also won't twist as it is fitted on your whole head and there is nothing for the ball to "grab" on to. A ball will just glance off the side. Also, you ears are totally protected as well.

I don't find that the hockey style mask is any louder at all and I'm pretty loud. Maybe it's the design of another hockey style mask. I would stick with the All-Star MVP.

I also don't find it any hotter than wearing a regular mask with a wool fitted cap. The hockey style mask has vent holes and a gap between the front and back pieces that help disperse heat. Plus, when you remove the mask, there is not hat still on retaining heat, so I think the heat aspect isn't a factor.

If your thinking of switching, try out an All-Star mask. You can get them on Ebay for $50 to $65. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Honestly though, I don't think you'll want to give it up after trying one.

IMHO. Your mileage may vary...

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
JMHO, but helmets are just different.

Up side: Way better view of things. Better protection, as the impact is difused over a greater area.

Down side: It's very loud inside the helmet. Your voice is trapped inside, so calling strikes all day gets a bit old. Foul balls are VERY loud. Conversely, you can't hear outside noises quite as well. Plus, it's hotter in there.

Borrow one, and decide for yourself. Me, I use my helmet only for backstops that go over my head, so I can protect the top of my dome.

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I looked on Ebay yesterday, saw no masks on there, but shopped around, found the All-Stat you mentioned. Has anyone looked at the one Itech makes or the one Easton makes. Partner last night was discussing it, he's looking at the Easton, but wants to get some more opinions on it if he can.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:32am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by danreeves1973
I looked on Ebay yesterday, saw no masks on there, but shopped around, found the All-Stat you mentioned. Has anyone looked at the one Itech makes or the one Easton makes. Partner last night was discussing it, he's looking at the Easton, but wants to get some more opinions on it if he can.
I bought the Diamond from Gerry Davis. A clear step up from the All-Star, as I used to have one of those as well. And only $89 new.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Rich,
Could you elaborate on what makes the Diamond hockey style mask a clear step up from the All-Star? I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
I bought the Diamond from Gerry Davis. A clear step up from the All-Star, as I used to have one of those as well. And only $89 new.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 11:57am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Rich,
Could you elaborate on what makes the Diamond hockey style mask a clear step up from the All-Star? I'd be curious to hear your opinions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
I find the inside padding to be better, including the chin-piece. I also find the fit to be better. On top of that the neck guard is longer.

I was at a MLB game in Cincinnati last week. Bill Welke was on the plate wearing a helmet.....with a hat underneath. Looked to be at LEAST a four-stitch hat, not one of those Ed Montague beanie hats. I've been practicing getting the helmet off over a hat, because I find I sweat too much from the head to be terribly comfortable without a hat on. I do't vare about the appearance aspect -- I just don't want sweat running down my head in July.

It can be done -- I find though I have to use two hands to take the helmet off and I have to remove it from the back. Even an eight-stitch hat (which is all I own -- even when I wear a traditional mask I use an eight-stitch) will fit comfortably under this helmet, it's just very difficult to get the helmet off quickly over it.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I've got an older MVP All Star helmet. They make all kinds. Plastic, fiberglass, and glass/Kevlar mix. I have the later, that I modified with a leather chin pad. The vinyl chin pad is horrible.

The new ones, $200+, with the titanium cage are really nice.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Easton helmet!!

this helmet is great, I've used mine for 1 full season and about 25 games this year. Ive taken direct hits to the front and felt nothing, even was able to follow where the ball went after deflecting off my face. I ve also had glancing blows to the side as well, nothing. The view is great, the heat, never had a problem, has cool max or somethingin it too. The only thing i have found is it is heavy to carry, not to wear, but to carry, and giving your safe call or Time ... but for all the advantages, I'd never give up my helmet.
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Tried one, sweated my head off......still got my single bar I bought from Tee, oh its got some dents.......sticking with it
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

hockey masks are great

I got tired of working the slot and ending up with several foul balls right off the face mask. One game I got hit so hard in HS baseball that it turned my mask halfway around my head!!

Went to Rawling Cool-Flow like the HS kids use and have loved it ever since. Vision is GREAT and peripherial vision is SO MUCH BETTER than the mask.

"Once you go hockey mask, you'll never go back."

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: hockey masks are great

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
I got tired of working the slot and ending up with several foul balls right off the face mask. One game I got hit so hard in HS baseball that it turned my mask halfway around my head!!

Went to Rawling Cool-Flow like the HS kids use and have loved it ever since. Vision is GREAT and peripherial vision is SO MUCH BETTER than the mask.

"Once you go hockey mask, you'll never go back."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Had mask spun around many times, smaked with foul in lower horsesoe, bent mask bout 1/2 inch inch in, bloodied lip..........maybe next season
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

These shots that are bending masks....I'm assuming they're two bar masks right?

You get hit and it bends a four bar, you're gonna be hurting, if still concious.