View Single Post
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I recently bought an All-Star MVP2200 brand new on Ebay for $50. Best $50 I've spent on gear since I started umpiring.
I would never go back to a mask, unless they made me (for not wearing a hat as I have heard they do in other areas).

The view out of a hockey style mask is much better than out of a mask. Not only are the bars slightly farther apart from top to bottom, the addtional peripheral view makes it feel like you can see everything.

The hockey style mask is curved much more so than a mask, so the ball is deflected much better. This translates into less force being directed to your face. I took a fairly hard shot straight back on the hockey style mask and dead center. The only problem I had was that I didn't have it adjusted quite tight enough and I felt more of the force on my jaw than I should have. I have since adjusted it for a better fit. No problems after that. The hockey style mask also won't twist as it is fitted on your whole head and there is nothing for the ball to "grab" on to. A ball will just glance off the side. Also, you ears are totally protected as well.

I don't find that the hockey style mask is any louder at all and I'm pretty loud. Maybe it's the design of another hockey style mask. I would stick with the All-Star MVP.

I also don't find it any hotter than wearing a regular mask with a wool fitted cap. The hockey style mask has vent holes and a gap between the front and back pieces that help disperse heat. Plus, when you remove the mask, there is not hat still on retaining heat, so I think the heat aspect isn't a factor.

If your thinking of switching, try out an All-Star mask. You can get them on Ebay for $50 to $65. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you. Honestly though, I don't think you'll want to give it up after trying one.

IMHO. Your mileage may vary...

Quote:
Originally posted by kylejt
JMHO, but helmets are just different.

Up side: Way better view of things. Better protection, as the impact is difused over a greater area.

Down side: It's very loud inside the helmet. Your voice is trapped inside, so calling strikes all day gets a bit old. Foul balls are VERY loud. Conversely, you can't hear outside noises quite as well. Plus, it's hotter in there.

Borrow one, and decide for yourself. Me, I use my helmet only for backstops that go over my head, so I can protect the top of my dome.

p.s. next time you get blasted in the face, stand straight up, stick you right arm out toward center field, and call "First Down!". Always gets a laugh.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates