The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

It seems to be that lately most of the posts have been these far fetched hypothetical situations in which there can be many different interpretations. It almost seems as like everyone is overanalyzing the game, or over-umpiring. Sometimes the best advice is to know the rules and use your best judgment.

It would be nice to hear of some real game situations regarding rules or mechanics. It seems as though many of us here in the north are getting cabin fever and have no real game scenarios to talk about.

Just my opinion and something to think about.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
It seems to be that lately most of the posts have been these far fetched hypothetical situations in which there can be many different interpretations. It almost seems as like everyone is overanalyzing the game, or over-umpiring. Sometimes the best advice is to know the rules and use your best judgment.

It would be nice to hear of some real game situations regarding rules or mechanics. It seems as though many of us here in the north are getting cabin fever and have no real game scenarios to talk about.

Just my opinion and something to think about.
I don't think I could disagree with you more!

The only far fetched plays are those Jim Porter created; he submitted about one a week. They are labeled as third-world plays; they are intended to be fun (although they are always instructional) and to stimulate an umpire to search his rule book and solve the question by viewing the situations logically and sequentially. I see in them much the same pedagogical value that other Americans in other times have attached to studying Latin or algebra (for non-math majors): The two disciplines are excellent tools for sharpening one's mind even though they don't always have practical value.

OTOH: Just in THE LAST FOUR DAYS we've had posts on plays that seem pretty commonplace to me:
  1. the tendency of umpires of amateur games to get help on close plays
  2. is time out when the umpire sweeps the plate?
  3. should the umpire signal safe when the batter-runner misses first base but beats the ball?
  4. a batter's backswing knocks the ball out of the catcher's glove
  5. legality of a pitcher setting twice with his feet
  6. a batter hit by a pitch that bounces into the dirt
Those are three questions on mechanics and three on the rules.

If you have some plays that are less "far fetched [and] hypothetical," please submit them for the group.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2001, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

I concur with you Carl. From what I have read there are people out there playing LL and HS ball. We haven't even signed up for baseball in God's Country yet. It is good to read and study about the problems others are having before we start so we will know the answers when the situation arises.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Real Situations

Every situation that I have mentioned has happened to me in the last week.

Greg
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

PA, I concur with you. Yes, if we edit only what we want, then there are some good questions. But there have been some outlandish questions asked that might not happen in a hundred years!

Do we get anything out of it? Maybe, maybe not. I believe that it is intended to let the brain, and eyes, back to the rule book. Remember, it was the off season, so the talk was slow. A lot of hypothetical situations arise.

But, please, Carl, to say that out of all the long winded post in the off season, that six that you picked were instructional is a very low percentage to the whole lot. No one is questioning the board, just asking questions. No need to defend so strictly.

Thane, good job backing up your partner (who gave you an autographed BRD). I would back you to the hilt Carl, if you would give me an autographed something.

Max
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

PA, I concur with you. Yes, if we edit only what we want, then there are some good questions. But there have been some outlandish questions asked that might not happen in a hundred years!

Do we get anything out of it? Maybe, maybe not. I believe that it is intended to let the brain, and eyes, back to the rule book. Remember, it was the off season, so the talk was slow. A lot of hypothetical situations arise.

But, please, Carl, to say that out of all the long winded post in the off season, that six that you picked were instructional is a very low percentage to the whole lot. No one is questioning the board, just asking questions. No need to defend so strictly.

Thane, good job backing up your partner (who gave you an autographed BRD). I would back you to the hilt Carl, if you would give me an autographed something.

Max
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
Geez, Max, that's a terrible st..stutter you've got! (grin) Maybe you need to delete one of the duplicate posts, eh?

BTW, Carl's 6 instructional plays were from the "LAST 4 DAYS!". That looks like a pretty HIGH percentage to me, especially in that short space of time. Sure there was a higher percentage of 3rd world plays over the off-season, but most of them spoke to legitimate issues of principle. I remember one thread where people were complaining bitterly about the 3rd world nature of the play (one of the weekly interps), UNTIL I pointed out the enforcement principle involved and then it all made sense.

There is a vast range of knowledge and experience on the board, Max. Not all that is discussed will be applicable at your particular knowledge or experience level, but some of it certainly will. If it bothers you, simply ignore that which you find irrelevant, and let those who enjoy the mental exercise have their fun.

Please don't regard this as some sort of strident defense of the status quo; it's just a statement of an alternative viewpoint. Ok?

Cheers,
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I was not trying to start a war her. Just an opinion. I like reading the posts and do everyday, however, there is a lot of discussion that has to deal with trying to read the mind of the player or think of all the different scenarios in your mind. I was wondering if these situations come up and how they are dealt with in real game situations, not behind a keyboard with time to think.

Sometimes, the answers are very different and many umps disagree as to what is a right or wrong mecahnic, rule, etc.
Once again, I think it would be helpful to see how these situations were handled in a game, players response, coaches response, did it work, would you do it again etc. Does the advice conveyed on the board work on the field? If it did or it blew up in your face can we discuss that?
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Smile New Guy on the Block

Having just started following Internet Boards, I refrain from posting "ordinary" game situations here simply because of the advance level of discussions. Emteamz and URC have specific area devoted to FED and Mechanics and the replies take into account the varying levels of experience. I follow this Board to fill in the gaps about the theory and other philosphical discussions about art/science of umpiring.
Old Thu Mar 22, 2001, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Ordinary Game Situations That Ocurred Yesterday

Here are two simple plays from a yesterday's game that might be of interest..

FED Rules:

1. R1 going on pitch. Batter hits ball high and deep to left center. Ball bounces off wall back to surprised center fielder. Ball now bounces of centerfielders glove and heads for foul line. Left fielder gives chase and his attempt to scoop ball with glove actually give impetus to the ball to go into deadball territory. At this point, R1 is now rounding third and BR is rounding first.

Place runners. Does it matter that the ball touched the centerfielder? Does it matter that the ball has been "played upon" twice before going into deadball territory?

2. R1, R2. Batter hits grounder that passes F3, however F4, is about twenty feet away and closing and his actions indicate that he is going to make dive at the ball. Ball then hits R1.

We've heard about PBUC's opinion on a similar play, what do you do in FED?

Old Fri Mar 23, 2001, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Re: Ordinary Game Situations That Ocurred Yesterday

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Here are two simple plays from a yesterday's game that might be of interest..

FED Rules:

1. R1 going on pitch. Batter hits ball high and deep to left center. Ball bounces off wall back to surprised center fielder. Ball now bounces of centerfielders glove and heads for foul line. Left fielder gives chase and his attempt to scoop ball with glove actually give impetus to the ball to go into deadball territory. At this point, R1 is now rounding third and BR is rounding first.

2. R1, R2. Batter hits grounder that passes F3, however F4, is about twenty feet away and closing and his actions indicate that he is going to make dive at the ball. Ball then hits R1.

1. F7 gave the impetus for the ball to go out of play, thus two bases from the time F7 "released" the ball. R1 scores, BR to third.

2. Well, I'm "convinced" (FED 8-4-2k). Interference!

P-Sz