The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

That's easy. I saw Don Denkinger take the World Series away from the St. Louis Cardinals in 1985.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
That's easy. I saw Don Denkinger take the World Series away from the St. Louis Cardinals in 1985.
Bullsh!t. The Cardinals lost that series on their own. My how myths grow.

First remember Don's blown call was in game 6, not game 7. Then remember it resulted in the lead off batter making it to first. What happened next?

Jack Clark muffed Balboni's foul fly that would have helped the Cardinals get out of the inning unscathed. Let's not forget that catcher Porter mishandled a Todd Worrell pitch that put the winning run into scoring position.

Then game 7? Who are you going to blame that on?

No one call by any umpire including an admitted blown call at first by Denkinger cost the Cardinals that series. Get over it.

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 27th, 2005 at 07:21 PM]
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
Worse thing I've ever had a partner do is NOT SHOW UP!!!!!!

Nothing worse than having your partner NOT show up and NOT call the school to let them know.

I've never had it happen in baseball before but it has happened 3 times so far in softball. Since softball has the shorter 60 foot bases and the teams didn't want to go to the hassle of re-scheduling they agreed to play with just one ump.

I made it very clear that I would do it ONLY if I got both checks and ONLY if I didn't hear any crap from either side on close calls.

All 3 times the games went fine (2 were actually 10 run rule blowouts). Actually if you clear the catcher and head toward 1st base you get a heck of a good angle on "bangers" on first. One time I had a good tag and an out on a steal at second but since I had just cleared the plate I ask them to "show me the ball". When the 2nd baseman showed the ball I called the runner out with no arguments.
About 2 years ago my assigner called around 2:00 to ask me to work a game between 2 private high schools at 4:00. I said ok, arrived at 3:30 and by 3:45 no partner had shown up so I dressed for the plate. I did not even know who my partner was supposed to be. I showed up at pregame, told the coaches I was a late fill in and did not know who my partner was but it appeared he was going to be late. I gave them 3 options, go home, start and possibly end with one ump, or wait till my partner showed up. They opted to start the game. The game lasted 1 hour 20 minutes, 2-1 score, there was only one close call (a banger at 1B) and the home team wrote me a check for 1.5 times the normal game fee. There was no griping from either side except for mild disagreement on the banger. Partner never showed. Best game I had all year.

[Edited by DG on Mar 27th, 2005 at 07:50 PM]
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

NO Partner Predicament

Sometimes NO partner is better than a inferior partner!!!!

Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis but it can work if you make it work.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: NO Partner Predicament

Man, I work without a partner more often than not.

YOU GUYS HAVE IT GOOD!

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike3UROUT
Sometimes NO partner is better than a inferior partner!!!!

Wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis but it can work if you make it work.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 08:06am
Michael Taylor

The worst I have see was about 15/18 yrs ago in a 13/14 PONY game. The PU was a self-proclaimed rules expert but was in reality an idiot. Ball was hit to RF deep, the BR comes into second on a stand up double. The ball is relayed into F6 12/15 ft from the bag and way after the BR was there. The PU comes out and calls the runner out for not sliding. A conversation began between the two umps and the PU told the BU if he couldn't handle his calls he should leave. The BU took him up on the offer. This was only one of many bonehead calls I saw this guy make.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Worst thing I ever saw?

After reading all of the posts on this subject, I will have to admit that what I'm about to impart to ya'll, is with out a doubt the worst thing any of us has ever heard of or seen.

Several years ago I was scheduled to do a LL 13-14 YO (Yes I know, Kiddy ball, but it is where I got started) game on a Saturday afternoon. I arrived early, got down to the field to watch a little of the game before mine. Situation was R1 & 2 man crew, I actually watched the PU almost get run over by the BU on a routine base hit to the outfield. R1 going 1-3, PU coming up the line yelling "I got 3, I've got 3!", came inside to make the call and for whatever reason, the BU never acknowledged him and almost ran the PU over while back pedaling into 3.

1 ball, 1 defender, 1 runner, 2 umps to make the call.

PRICELESS!!
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Not quite ...

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
I wish I had kept my post last year. ESPN did an article and a TV special on Denkinger and it was great.

But your post is in error. You need the "rest of the story."

I see Garth provided that.

Take a search around ESPN.com and its very interesting reading.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Worst I've seen - supposed 20-year umpire. He's BU, I'm at the plate. Pop up to 2nd base with no one on. Fans all scream as F4 is trying to catch it, and he drops it. I hear "Interference! Batter's out!" I didn't see interference, but was not going to contradict him on the field. Between innings (this old boy had to visit with me between every half-inning) I ask him what happened. "Verbal Fan Interference."

OK, fine - new one on me, too late to fix.

2nd game, he's behind the plate. One out, R2. Catcher catches a 1-hopper for swinging strike 3 and fires to third to catch R2 stealing, I call him out. PU is yelling, "Batter's out! Batter's Out!" as batter makes it to 1st without a throw. Coach goes nuts, gets ejected. Assistant (a wiser man) approaches PU calmly and asks him to discuss the call with me. Much to my shock he does. Turns out he knows the ball bounced - but ruled batter out because catcher fielded the ball cleanly. I tell him he's wrong (no one else can hear us), and he yells at me, for all to hear, "You're a F$^#&ing idiot!" and returns to the plate. Poor assistant coach doesn't know to protest.

He never worked for us again either.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mmmm,

Mr. Crowder:

You may have the winning entry.

A double header none the less.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 03:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Worst I've seen - supposed 20-year umpire. He's BU, I'm at the plate. Pop up to 2nd base with no one on. Fans all scream as F4 is trying to catch it, and he drops it. I hear "Interference! Batter's out!" I didn't see interference, but was not going to contradict him on the field. Between innings (this old boy had to visit with me between every half-inning) I ask him what happened. "Verbal Fan Interference."

OK, fine - new one on me, too late to fix.

2nd game, he's behind the plate. One out, R2. Catcher catches a 1-hopper for swinging strike 3 and fires to third to catch R2 stealing, I call him out. PU is yelling, "Batter's out! Batter's Out!" as batter makes it to 1st without a throw. Coach goes nuts, gets ejected. Assistant (a wiser man) approaches PU calmly and asks him to discuss the call with me. Much to my shock he does. Turns out he knows the ball bounced - but ruled batter out because catcher fielded the ball cleanly. I tell him he's wrong (no one else can hear us), and he yells at me, for all to hear, "You're a F$^#&ing idiot!" and returns to the plate. Poor assistant coach doesn't know to protest.

He never worked for us again either.
I would've helped the coach through the protest after that.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Girl's fastpitch softball game (i know i know). Routine grounder to F6 who throws to F3 to get the BR. As the throw is half way across the diamond, PU yells "Batter's Out! Batter's Out!" When asked why- she was running outside the runner's lane.

No contact with F3 or anything.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jason181988 Send a message via Yahoo to jason181988
mcrowder i think you do win. Thats great. There is alot of confusion with that 3rd strike where i umpire too. It must NOT hit the ground to be considered a clean catch for the third strike, correct?

The toughest call an umpire has to make is not the half-swing; the toughest call is throwing a guy out of the game after you blew the hell out of the play.
-Johny Rice, umpire
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking lighten up

Come on guys. Lighten up. I am sure in all of the situations discussed the umpires were just trying to make conversation by making these rulings or not showing up.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

I posted this once before but here it goes again. HS Varsity game. I'm BU, bottom of 2nd 1 out R1, PU calls balk while pitcher is standing on rubber getting sign. I had know idea why PU called balk. Visiting head coach calmly called time and walked out to the PU, had a conversation and returned to the dugout. I did not hear the conversation between the coach and PU. Pitcher asked me why he called a balk and I replied I have no idea ask your coach when the inning is over. Later the visiting coach told me it was because the pitcher was holding the ball beside his leg not behind his back. Now the fun begins bottom of 7th home team trailing 11-2. PU lost his strike zone and walked the next 13 batters in a row. Visiting team used 3 pitchers during the walkathon. From my viewpoint there were plenty of pitches that could be called strikes. Visiting coach asked me during one of the pitching changes if I thought he was getting screwed and could he appeal to me on called balls. I informed him no he cannot appeal to me on called balls and I hope you have your KY jelly so it doesn't hurt so bad. Home team wins game 11-12 with no hits and no outs in bottom of 7th. Found out later that PU was a graduate from the home team HS. I quit being an umpire after that game.