Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:51pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Please don't ask me why I did this but; no one on and no outs. Ground ball to 2nd baseman, I curled inside the bag so far that I had to duck the throw. Luckily the 2nd baseman made the throw and 1st baseman was able to make the catch.
Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing once and had I not ducked I would have taken a ball to the head. As it was I still almost got nailed in the back.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 01:55pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
The worst thing I have seen an umpire do is critize another official in public or in private for that matter. I think that far outways any mistake made on the field, because most of the mistake made on the field where learned from someone else.
Personally I want the critisim, from one who is qualified to give such critisim. How else am I supposed to learn what I am doing wrong and improve on the things I am doing sorta right. The one thing that bugs me the most is when there is a game after mine (basketball) and the experienced officials come in and I ask them what they thought and they tell me I did a nice job. That is not what I want to hear, I want to know what I did wrong, tell me that or at least tell me that you didn't really pay attention to the game so you really can't comment. Those are the things I want to hear.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Babe Ruth game, I was the BU bases empty, ground ball to short, a rather routine out at first, I thought. First base coach starts giving me the buisness, I replied "Coach, it wasn't even that close.", the PU, having coming up the line like he should, then yells at me - "don't talk to coaches like that!". I was stunned. I didn't talk to him during the game, and afterwards he wouldn't talk - threw his stuff in his car and drove off.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by my3sons
The worst thing I have seen an umpire do is critize another official in public or in private for that matter. I think that far outways any mistake made on the field, because most of the mistake made on the field where learned from someone else.
Personally I want the critisim, from one who is qualified to give such critisim. How else am I supposed to learn what I am doing wrong and improve on the things I am doing sorta right. The one thing that bugs me the most is when there is a game after mine (basketball) and the experienced officials come in and I ask them what they thought and they tell me I did a nice job. That is not what I want to hear, I want to know what I did wrong, tell me that or at least tell me that you didn't really pay attention to the game so you really can't comment. Those are the things I want to hear.
I agree that the input of others can be valuable in a one on one situation. I believe the comment was regarding an open criticism in a public arena. Such as sitting in the stands criticizing someone officiating a game to people in public.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
That could be because they do not feel comfortable giving you a lot of negative comments. If you just read this board alone it is obvious that some here cannot ever take a negative comment thrown their way. You might have to press for more specific comments. I will admit I do not just give negative advice freely.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

The only problem with getting critqued by a more senior official is that merely because they've been doing it 'longer' doesn't mean they do it 'better'. Everybody makes mistakes. Some of the things I've learned most completely and can recall the quickest on the field is a situation that I screwed up before. My first season I adopted a habit I read in one of Mr. Childress' works. Keep a diary, evaluate yourself frankly after each game.

Worst thing I've seen an umpire do: After working together one other time (I did the plate), my partner tried to wriggle out of his turn at the plate by saying "I forgot my cup." I offered him a spare and amazingly, his turned up. Great guy .

IG3
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:29pm
Administrator

I will tell you up front that my son's coach did not protest the game because we were getting killed as it was, but:

The game was a Toledo P&R boys' 12U game (this league was a USSSA sanctioned league and therefore was using OBR).

We were in the field during the middle innings of a six inning game when our opponent's best batter hit a rope down the right field line. While the batter was between 2nd and 3rd base, the throw from our 2nd baseman went over the 3rd baseman's head into dead ball territory. The umpire correctly awarded the B/R 3rd and Home. But here is where it got good. The B/R never touched 3rd or Home, he just went straight from being between 2nd and 3rd into the dugout. We appealed the B/R at 3rd and our appeal was denied. We the appealed the B/R at Home and our appeal was agains denied. We then asked why our appeals were denied and we were toled that the B/R did not have to touch any of the awarded bases because they were just that, awarded bases.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

I was working the plate in a HS game with a guy who had been working college games for over 30 years. I got 5 tips after the game and I really appreciated it. I adopted 4 of the 5 (all tips are not good).

I have worked with several guys who show balls on the right hand and strikes on the left.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Saw this last week at my nephews HS game, I was in the stands.

Ball hit deep to RF, looks like its going to clear the fence, BU gives the HR signal, BUT, the ball hits the top rail of the fence, bounces back into the field of paly, and RF catches it AFTER it bounced off the rail and before it hits the ground. BU calls it a catch, batter out, all hell breaks loose. Was the last out so game over.

Now, was the BU right or wrong? I looked it up, I say it was not a catchable ball, was no longer in flight when it hit the fence rail, therefore no catch, its still live. I' a first year ump calling HS this eyar, just want to make sure I'm right if I think I'm right.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danreeves1973
Saw this last week at my nephews HS game, I was in the stands.

Ball hit deep to RF, looks like its going to clear the fence, BU gives the HR signal, BUT, the ball hits the top rail of the fence, bounces back into the field of paly, and RF catches it AFTER it bounced off the rail and before it hits the ground. BU calls it a catch, batter out, all hell breaks loose. Was the last out so game over.

Now, was the BU right or wrong? I looked it up, I say it was not a catchable ball, was no longer in flight when it hit the fence rail, therefore no catch, its still live. I' a first year ump calling HS this eyar, just want to make sure I'm right if I think I'm right.
1..Don't give a signal UNTIL something happens. FIRST GOOF.

2..You're right, he's wrong. Ball hits anything but a player, it's no longer in flight. GOOF NUMBER TWO.

3..Was there no appeal, or protest?

Bob
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Mmmmm,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
"The worst thing I have seen an umpire do is critize another official in public or in private for that matter. I think that far outways any mistake made on the field, because most of the mistake made on the field where learned from someone else."

------------------------------------------------------

The general errors I see on the field (and also on sites such as this) are not learned behavior.

Most umpire errors come from failing to understand what is happening around them and how it can (does) impact the game.

The ONLY way an umpire can learn is to be criticized. Nothing is worth doing unless it is worth measuring. Evaluation and a critical review are parts of growing, it may not be trendy to disagree with you but I do.
I'll agree that evals should be done so an official, requardless of the sport could have the opportunity to improve. I say opportunity because some think they are already perfect and that they are not getting games they "deserve" due to political reasons, and will disreguard the eval. I personnally welcome being evaled from umpires I have the respect for, and that I know will do things right. I also agree that nothing annoys me more than hearing someone say you did alright and then nothing else. If I am only alright then what do I need to be good. I hear that quite a bit in basketball where I know I am still learning. I think some basketball officials are not at all helpful of newer refs for whatever reason. Baseball and football seems to be totally different in that requard.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

The worst I have seen was in a HS regional last year. The home team was ranked #1 in the state and the visiting team was ranked in the top 10. The visiting team had runners at 1st and 3rd with one out. I'm at A. The runner from 1st went on a hit and run. The batter swung and missed and his momentum carried him across the plate where he hit the catcher so hard he almost fell. I waited for the interference call, but it never came. The coach came out and discussed the play with my partner, then returned to the dugout. The two runs eventually scored and the visiting team won the game. After the game, my partner explained he did not call interference because "you cannot have interference without a throw".

Having read this play, my question to Blue 37 is: With runners on first and third....why were you in position A?

Michael
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
The worst I have seen was in a HS regional last year. The home team was ranked #1 in the state and the visiting team was ranked in the top 10. The visiting team had runners at 1st and 3rd with one out. I'm at A. The runner from 1st went on a hit and run. The batter swung and missed and his momentum carried him across the plate where he hit the catcher so hard he almost fell. I waited for the interference call, but it never came. The coach came out and discussed the play with my partner, then returned to the dugout. The two runs eventually scored and the visiting team won the game. After the game, my partner explained he did not call interference because "you cannot have interference without a throw".

Having read this play, my question to Blue 37 is: With runners on first and third....why were you in position A?

Michael
It was a HS regional game, maybe it was three man mechanics?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000

Michael
It was a HS regional game, maybe it was three man mechanics?
That was my thought. Round here tho we only use 2 until the state final rounds. Regionals and districts we use 2.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Worse thing I've ever had a partner do is NOT SHOW UP!!!!!!

Nothing worse than having your partner NOT show up and NOT call the school to let them know.

I've never had it happen in baseball before but it has happened 3 times so far in softball. Since softball has the shorter 60 foot bases and the teams didn't want to go to the hassle of re-scheduling they agreed to play with just one ump.

I made it very clear that I would do it ONLY if I got both checks and ONLY if I didn't hear any crap from either side on close calls.

All 3 times the games went fine (2 were actually 10 run rule blowouts). Actually if you clear the catcher and head toward 1st base you get a heck of a good angle on "bangers" on first. One time I had a good tag and an out on a steal at second but since I had just cleared the plate I ask them to "show me the ball". When the 2nd baseman showed the ball I called the runner out with no arguments.

"I've never questioned the integrity of an umpire. Their eyesight, yes"---Leo Durocher