Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
very well put!!!

I dont mind the insane plays as much as I mind the guys who want to gloat about a big game they work or about how they try to work with younger officials to mentor them (they do this by simply saying "I am working the bases with a second year ump" or "last year in a regional game, number one ranked team in the state against another top ten team, I had first.") Do they know for a fact that the people working these games dont read this?

I know I would love to wake up, come on here and see my partner for that game absolutely thrashing me and my horrible call. In fact the call was so bad that he called it the worst call he has ever seen!!

Dont tell me that "those guys will never know it was their game" most of you post your real names and the game situations are so specific and so absurd that it can only be a handful of games, EVER!

Thanks!
Orangeump,

The scream of pain you heard was me reacting to having my toes trampled. Sometimes I do get caught up in ego games and think I need to toot my own horn. Thanks for the reminder!!!

Also, thanks for pointing out that I should be more mindful of the feelings of others. I will be more careful with the details I provide, so the identities of those involved in any situation are not revealed.
Old Tue Mar 28, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Worst thing I ever saw. Well I didn't actually see it.

Late August a nice warm late Sunday afternoon 6:40 PM. Kids are in the pool. Wife has the steaks all nicely marinated - you get the picture of domestic bliss here. I've assured that my umpiring is done for another year.

I've just lit the BBQ when the phone rings. Seems the blue didn't show up for the regional final and the league pres wants me to hustle down there and do it. Gee thanks, now i'm in hot water even before I leave for the park. Not the extra-warm reception I get for being late for game - and no to the coaches/fans it does not matter that I was not scheduled to work this game.

Sigh.