The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Let me try at clearing this up. The only thing different about a pitch that hits the ground before getting to the plate is that it "cannot be a called strike". Everything else that could happen on a pitch is still in effect.

jl
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vhs68
Let me try at clearing this up. The only thing different about a pitch that hits the ground before getting to the plate is that it "cannot be a called strike". Everything else that could happen on a pitch is still in effect.

jl
Nice try, but if the batter swings at a pitch that hits the ground it can be called a strike.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:

jl
Nice try, but if the batter swings at a pitch that hits the ground it can be called a strike.
I think he meant a CALLED STRIKE. If the batter offers and misses, that's a SWINGING STRIKE.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

jl
Well, it also cannot be a "caught" 3d (swinging) strike, EXCEPT [per Evans & (revised) Roder] when it is foul-tipped.
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm still going to teach my catcher to tag the batter. Just to be sure. That would be a tough one to argue with an ump.
Old Wed Mar 16, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:

jl
I think what vhs was saying is that it cannot be called a strike after hitting the ground. The batter swung at the pitch, therefore not called a strike but was swung at by the batter, therefore a swinging strike.

A pitch that hits the ground and then enters the strike zone cannot be called a strike!