The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Can any of you recommend any drills or practice techniques I can use to help get back in the saddle? I was never really concerned about this in the past working youth games, because after a couple games I had re-found my consistent zone.

However, this is my first year calling FED,I only have four fresh/soph games assigned, so I need to hit the ground running. Like they say, you make your name behind the plate, so I want to make a good impression and hopefully get more games as the season progresses. (My first game I'm partnered with a D-I umpire, and I'm sure he's there to evaluate me for the association.)

And, please, don't suggest studying the rules or case books, etc--I'm starting to see sitches in my sleep!

Forgot to mention: I do have access to a couple of indoor batting cages, so any ideas there would be welcome.

[Edited by dddunn3d on Mar 11th, 2005 at 09:19 PM]
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Go to the cages with a someone willing to act as a catcher. Set up a video camera on a tripod and tape yourself.

Set the speed around 55 mph and at first just track pitches all the way to the glove with your eyes...don't worry about making decisions or calls. Just get into your stance and get used to seeing the ball all the way and moving only your eyes.

Crank the speed up to around 70 mph. Keep tracking all the way with your eyes, but now work on making calls. Concentrate on your mechanics....staying down on balls, coming up on strikes...and your timing. Doesn't matter where the pitch is. Call a series of strikes and call a series of balls.

Lastly, call the pitches as you really see them.

Take the tape home and review it. If possible, do it all again after spending some time being brutally honest with the tape.

The machines around here can be set for curves and sliders as well as fast balls. If you have those types of machines, trying looking at a few of those on your second visit.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks ...

Yes, video-tape, I hadn't thought of that. Strange too, because I have taped my 11-yr old son at the cages about twenty times so far this off-season. I wonder if I could talk him into catching for me?

Anybody have any out-of-cage ideas they could share with the class(i.e., me)?

Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 11:11pm
Veteran College Umpire

Lie on your back with your mask on (ON) and have your 11 year old drop tennis balls on your face, then try not to blink. You may proceed to baseballs, bowling balls, watermelons - whatever Letterman drops off the roof.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
one of the things I do is I will grab a 45 lb weight and drop into my stance holding the weight and "visualize" in my head a pitch coming in, working my eyes to the "extreme"

This builds me up strength and endurance wise and gets me to working my eyes. Anything down the middle of the plate is easy to track. It is the outer edged stuff that some umpires will stop tracking and zone the pitch. After about 100 "pitches" you will feel it. It also helps me avoid some of the early season fatigue that can set in.

Other than that cage work as suggested, not only with the video tape but with a partner, and work as many scrimmages as you can. Maybe that D1 ump will take you under his wing and work with you.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all

All very good suggestions, I will get right to it...

My son will enjoy dropping things on the old-man's head!

And, that D-1 umpire is also the president of my son's Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth League, so maybe he will. No harm in asking...
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I will watch baseball on tv and call the pitches. Even though most of the time the view is from the pitcher, it helps me with my timing on getting set and calling various pitches thrown, foul balls, etc.

After a hit ball I then become the BU and make the call. Also helps with timing and my mechanics.

Sometimes my wife will scream at me because she is asleep and all she hears, very loudly I might add is, STRIKE! lol
Old Mon Mar 14, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

You can get a lot of real cheap plate practice by working out in front of a full length mirror at home. Practice getting set into position, track the ball with your eyes, and then make the call. You can put two tennis balls on the floor in front of you about 3 feet, one on inside, one on outside, then practice looking down at them without moving your head. Practice timing, say "bam" silently to simulate the ball hitting the mitt, then pause and make your ball or strike call (practice more strikes than balls). Practice your third strike call, so you do the same thing consistently every time without thinking. Then practice safes and outs in front of the same mirror as if you were working bases.

Sign up for as many pre-season scrimmages you can and work as many innings as you can.

If there are any college games in your area go watch one or more, but don't watch the game, watch the umpires. Good luck!

[Edited by DG on Mar 14th, 2005 at 08:16 PM]
Old Tue Mar 15, 2005, 08:29pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I will watch baseball on tv and call the pitches. Even though most of the time the view is from the pitcher, it helps me with my timing on getting set and calling various pitches thrown, foul balls, etc.

After a hit ball I then become the BU and make the call. Also helps with timing and my mechanics.

Sometimes my wife will scream at me because she is asleep and all she hears, very loudly I might add is, STRIKE! lol
This is great!!

I always find myself walking around the house working on my mechanics.