The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

To all the "Assognors" out there, I'd like to know what the best "assignors software" is. Any imput what so ever would be greatly appreciated as I learn to take on the task of Assigning.

Thank you........Foulball
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I too am eager to learn what software people are using. As far as I know, our local association has no web presence. As an amateur web designer as well as umpire, I was thinking of volunteering to change that. Ideally one would like a web-based application with a database back-end -- I could do it myself, but it would be faster to install something. What do you assignors use, if anything?
Old Tue Feb 22, 2005, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

With a "web based" software, aren't you dependant on the internet to operate?

Foulball
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

The football, basketball and baseball associations I belong to all use TheArbiter.net
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Foulball, the answer is yes to your question about The Arbiter.net being dependent on the internet. If for any reason, the server goes down or somoeone cannot access, they cannot " see " their assignments.

However . . . Arbiter.net has some great capabilities. Once you are a member, if you receive an assignment, arbiter.com immediately sends you an e-mail telling you that you have been assigned. You then can check the site to see what you have and when.
Another capability is that you, the official, can block any days you don't want to be assigned - anniversary, wedding, vacation, previous commitments of any kind. This is viewed by the assignor(s), who will not waste time assigning you only to have you reply that you have a previous commitment.
Problem is, I don't know how you get permission to use this system or what, if any, the fee is. I am on it as an official and not as an assignor.
I do know it is free to the officials here in Ohio. You just need to register with the assignor and they give you a password and you're ready to go.

[Edited by officialtony on Feb 23rd, 2005 at 02:32 PM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Also

I also suggest that you visit RefTown.com and see that system.

Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Our group uses a non-net version of Arbiter. We started a few years ago when I was on the Board. I presume it is still available. One feature I had always wanted for it, then, was a "back door" to hook the database up to a web site [so we'd have the "local" data and be able to post assignments to a web-accessable location]. Didn't have it then; maybe now? {I'll have to check]
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Our association just went through a study of many of the assigning systems (web based). There are pros and con's for all. I was quite involved with a pc based system "Easy Schedule" that I used and customized as per the designer, Jim Booth. The last version is about 6-7 yrs old, not for sale anymore, but is still usefull. Id be glad to share that info with you. However, we found that for now, the Arbiter seems to be the most versitile, with the others improving all the time. It can reduce telephons calls over the long run but, it does'nt eliminate them.

I agree internet access can cause headaches, I would download all assignments each morning and work off of that for the day when I used the PC system. Make pencil changes and correct at night. Unless you have ALL day to sit in front of your computer. I did'nt. I also had to work.

We use the Arbiter for Ice Hockey too and unlike Baseball weather does'nt effect the games, so it is a little easier. I believe the cost of the Arbiter runs approximately $.25 a game, as a ballpark figure.

Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I assign over 10,000 games a year in Chicago and have a pretty efficient process using Excel. It's transporatble, slides under firewalls, and has a back end export to Access which feeds our website. Most assigning is done on our site, but some things are still manual. I have talked to the Arbiter people several times and for the reasons in High Holiness' email above, I have not made the conversion. At this point, converting a 10,000 game, 300 umpire, 200 client system to the Arbiter would be a full time job for me (and I already have a 60 hr/week job).

One additional thing I did not like about the Arbiter (and maybe they fixed this), is often times we have cancels and adds and more cancels and more adds. What I do is move a cancelled umpire to an open game as opposed to telling him his game in five weeks is cancelled. With the Arbiter, he would see that change real time, thus creating confusion and unnecessary commerce.

I recommend doing what's best suited for you. My process is a bit archaic, but definetly works for me.
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Amen Peter, you are right on.

Our Hockey cross-over guys tell me that there is another system (offserv.com) that blows away the Arbiter. I plan to pilot this package for a 300 game tournament later this summer. If it works, I'll contemplate the many man hours of conversion. Has anyone heard of or sampled this system?

Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB9
I assign over 10,000 games a year in Chicago and have a pretty efficient process using Excel. It's transporatble, slides under firewalls, and has a back end export to Access which feeds our website. Most assigning is done on our site, but some things are still manual. I have talked to the Arbiter people several times and for the reasons in High Holiness' email above, I have not made the conversion. At this point, converting a 10,000 game, 300 umpire, 200 client system to the Arbiter would be a full time job for me (and I already have a 60 hr/week job).

One additional thing I did not like about the Arbiter (and maybe they fixed this), is often times we have cancels and adds and more cancels and more adds. What I do is move a cancelled umpire to an open game as opposed to telling him his game in five weeks is cancelled. With the Arbiter, he would see that change real time, thus creating confusion and unnecessary commerce.

I recommend doing what's best suited for you. My process is a bit archaic, but definetly works for me.
Right now I'm just getting into the mode. I'm going to do a little assigning this summer while our regular assignor is out of town. His intentions are to leave all together within a year or to, so I set up an Excel spreadsheet to be able to play around with the summer schedule, but what I wasn't sure about, was if Excel would allow me to retrieve information through various catagories, ie; one officials' assignments, his earned pay, etc......are you doing that with Excel?

Thanks......Foulball