View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 23, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FVB9
I assign over 10,000 games a year in Chicago and have a pretty efficient process using Excel. It's transporatble, slides under firewalls, and has a back end export to Access which feeds our website. Most assigning is done on our site, but some things are still manual. I have talked to the Arbiter people several times and for the reasons in High Holiness' email above, I have not made the conversion. At this point, converting a 10,000 game, 300 umpire, 200 client system to the Arbiter would be a full time job for me (and I already have a 60 hr/week job).

One additional thing I did not like about the Arbiter (and maybe they fixed this), is often times we have cancels and adds and more cancels and more adds. What I do is move a cancelled umpire to an open game as opposed to telling him his game in five weeks is cancelled. With the Arbiter, he would see that change real time, thus creating confusion and unnecessary commerce.

I recommend doing what's best suited for you. My process is a bit archaic, but definetly works for me.
Right now I'm just getting into the mode. I'm going to do a little assigning this summer while our regular assignor is out of town. His intentions are to leave all together within a year or to, so I set up an Excel spreadsheet to be able to play around with the summer schedule, but what I wasn't sure about, was if Excel would allow me to retrieve information through various catagories, ie; one officials' assignments, his earned pay, etc......are you doing that with Excel?

Thanks......Foulball