The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   FED Balk Timing (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52758-fed-balk-timing.html)

njdevs00cup Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:02pm

FED Balk Timing

The pitcher came set, did not pause and delivered a pitch. How late is too late to make the call when a pitcher does not pause after coming set?

Matt Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevs00cup (Post 594714)
The pitcher came set, did not pause and delivered a pitch. How late is too late to make the call when a pitcher does not pause after coming set?

You could theoretically make this call anytime before the next pitch. Practically, I would say that you have, at most, a few seconds to make the call.

jdmara Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:33pm

Quote:

Call it asap. Just remember that if he delivers the pitch, be ready to dodge a hit ball. Don't take your eyes off that ball until it hits the catchers glove ;)

-Josh

Ump29 Wed Apr 08, 2009 07:37am

And this is why I like OBR !! (Actually OBR is all there is here !!)

UmpTTS43 Wed Apr 08, 2009 09:16am

Call it as soon as your brain engages your mouth, preferably by the time the ball reaches the catcher. On a no stop call, you have to make sure that there is no pick off attempt. A delayed call is better than no call when you know you have it right.

TwoBits Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 594718)
Call it asap.

-Josh

No matter how fast you call it, the offensive coach is going to call it quicker. :)

In my experience, if you wait for the catcher to receive the pitch or wait to see if it has been hit before you call the balk, you'll get grief from the defensive coach for "letting the <offensive> coach make the call."

jdmara Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits (Post 594784)
No matter how fast you call it, the offensive coach is going to call it quicker. :)

In my experience, if you wait for the catcher to receive the pitch or wait to see if it has been hit before you call the balk, you'll get grief from the defensive coach for "letting the <offensive> coach make the call."

That is a good point. That happens in all sports though :D If officials didn't have coaches, how would be get any calls correct?

-Josh

jicecone Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 594786)
That is a good point. That happens in all sports though :D If officials didn't have coaches, how would be get any calls correct?

-Josh

It wouldn't matter because we hardly ever get them correct anyway, unless they are in their favor. Then it's a good call.

jdmara Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 594790)
It wouldn't matter because we hardly ever get them correct anyway, unless they are in their favor. Then it's a good call.

But if they didn't yell, then the other team would get all the calls

-Josh

mbyron Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBits (Post 594784)

Perhaps, but he'll only do that once. If he does it after my ensuing warning, he'll no longer be on the field.

David B Thu Apr 09, 2009 01:15am

Quote:

I always try to make the call emphatic enough to ensure the pitcher does not deliver the ball. (I think that was one of Carl's suggestions from long time ago)

That works well for FED and also works in OBR. If he doesn't throw it at all that makes our job a lot easier.

thanks
David

njdevs00cup Fri Apr 10, 2009 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 594763)
Call it as soon as your brain engages your mouth, preferably by the time the ball reaches the catcher. On a no stop call, you have to make sure that there is no pick off attempt. A delayed call is better than no call when you know you have it right.

Amen brother! That is exactly what I was getting at. When I make all of my other calls, I take my time. I look at a strike and say to myself, "That was a good pitch," and come up with a strike call.