The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

I've decided that it is time to give umpiring school a shot (with the goal of making minors). I already read everything online about both of them that I can find and talked to a couple people in my association, but still haven't chosen one. It is almost time to pony up some money for it, so I'd appreciate any help from people who have actually been.

Anyway, after my research, i've come to the opinion that they are both about equal as far as teaching goes. Is this correct? (i.e. is there one school who really gives you a better chance at PBUC? both websites say that THEY do.) I'm leaning towards Evans, for the simple fact that less people means better odds of being in the top 25.

Any tips at doing well there are also welcome. i realize that the most important thing is probably being 100% confident on the field (or at least give the appearance of it :-)) i know i will do well in the academics portion, i'm the right age and size, but that confidence part is what i will have to work hardest at, being that i am relatively new to umpiring (1 year).

Also, if anyone else is signing up this year, i'd be happy to know who you are...

Thanks for any help...
Ryan
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

That's what I thought also. I spoke with Hunter Wendelstedt though, and he said that both schools had the exact same number of students attend last year. He also said that either way, the best students will be selected. If you come to Harry's, I'll see ya there.
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:26pm
Veteran College Umpire

I was jealous of the youngest guys who attended. They didn't have any bad habits to break, and were eager to learn and had plenty of time to practice what they learned. Don't be surprised if you don't get hired this year, but are invited back. Harry told lots of guys with promise to go home and practice what they'd learned for a year and then come back - really good advice for someone who has just learned the Pro system and way of doing things. It also was a way for him to see who was really sincere about trying to get a job. I went to Harry's school and loved it. Others who have gone to Evans' have had the same sentiment. Above all, it will instill confidence in your ability. Enjoy, you lucky dog!
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I have never attended umpiring school before, but have explored the option on two different occassions, and then almost going down last January, but things did not work out for me to go.
However, I have inquired to both schools on seperate occassions, and both times I recieved responses back from Harry and Jim both. They answered my questions thoroughly and completely.
However, if I had to pick one I would probably select Wendelstedt's school over Evans. Simply because of one experience that I had with Wendelstedt's school.
The first time I considered umpiring school, I inquired to both schools via email to recieve the sales pitch from both schools. I recieved a letter/packet of information from Jim Evans about two weeks later.
About two days later, after recieving the information in the mail from Evans school, Harry Wendelstedt called me personally to answer any and all questions that I had about his umpiring school, which I have always kepted in the back of my mind.
Since then, I have always given Harry's school the extra nod because of that phone call that I recieved from Harry personally.
Good Luck at umpiring school this January and let us know how it went for you when you finish.
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:01pm

Much like college, it's the student and not the building that makes the difference. Both schools will have great teachers and a few ball busters. Learn from both, because you will have partners in the same vein later.

As for not getting hired - if you don't, the worst thing you can do is give up. Check that; the worst thing you can do is come back and work Fed rules and mechanics. Try to work as much pro rules ball as you can after school. If you do get hired, prepare for more scrutiny than Sgt. Hartman. The ride is fun and the journey long, but the experience is worth every pain. Good luck!
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks,

i still haven't committed, but will probably end up sending my application to wendelstedt soon. i like them slightly more, but was thinking that evans had far less students. plus, if i have to shell out a few thousand, i might as well stay on a beach...

I know its really tough for someone with not much experience to make it the first time, but i will certainly give it my best shot and not have a defeatist attitude going in. i've been trying to explain to my parents and other how tough the odds the are so they won't feel disappointed for me or anything. Worst case, i'll have to come home and actually try to find a job that relates to my degree...
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 05:00pm

Good luck, Doctor!
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hey everyone, Im new to this site but wanted to say hi and give some insite that I have that might be useful in selecting a school. I am a minor league umpire. 2004 was my first year but it took me two shots at school to get in. That is not an uncommon occurance. After working three seasons of independent baseball and my first in the game I can tell you that you will get great instruction from both schools. I feel that the end result of both schools are similar but the path to get there is different. The main difference is that The Evans Academy relies mostly on minor league umpires to staff the school, while Harry's school puts more emphasis on Major League umpires to teach the students. Jim Evans believes that since graduates who get jobs in professional baseball will be placed in the lower minor leagues and will spend the first 6-9 years of their carrer in rookie ball thru AAA, minor league instructors will be most valuable to them. However of course, no one has more knowledge and more success than Major League umpires. And Harry's school has some very talented minor leaguers on staff too. So the decision has to be made only by the individual student. Look at the costs, the training facilities, talk to former students and make your decision. If you have the talent to be a minor league umpire, or the desire and drive to work hard enough for 5 weeks to learn what you need to be at that level, then either school will see you, mold you, and get you into the game.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have never been to pro school. I have, however, just returned home from Jim Evans' Desert Classic.

I cannot speak to Harry's School other than what some recent graduates and one individual who has attended both school have told me; so I won't.

Jim Evans is not only the foremost authority on rules interpretations, he actually authored some of the two-man mechanics found in the RedBook and wrote some of the interepretations found in the the NAPBL/PBUC Blue Book. Both of these are used extensively in professional baseball.

Jim is also a gentleman. Given several opportunities to bad mouth his competition, he declined each time. He treated everyone with respect and made sure we left the Classic better people as well as better umpires. Jim is principled and demonstrates that by example.

Yes, Jim uses minor league upires as instructors. He uses those who perform crips two-man mechaincs every game and are continually evaluated and rated on it, rather than someone who last worked two-man fifteen years ago. Neither does he bring in big leaguers for photo-ops and golf.

As a former educator, I recognized tremendous skills in Jim to not only teach, but also to train; and they are separate but equally important aspects of education. Jim has put more umpires in the pros since the inception of his school than anyone, and that is a verifiable fact.

When the MLB had to recommend someone to train umpires in Japan, it was Jim that got the nod. He is the only American to train umpires in Japan.

True, Jim may not always be able to return phone calls immediately. He travels extensively both in the US and internationally speaking and training.

The best endorsement I can give is that I am sending my son to Jim's...and I don't trust just anyone with my son.

[Edited by GarthB on Nov 22nd, 2004 at 04:29 PM]
Old Sun Apr 30, 2006, 02:01am

Amen, to that Brother Garth.
Closed Thread