View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

I have never been to pro school. I have, however, just returned home from Jim Evans' Desert Classic.

I cannot speak to Harry's School other than what some recent graduates and one individual who has attended both school have told me; so I won't.

Jim Evans is not only the foremost authority on rules interpretations, he actually authored some of the two-man mechanics found in the RedBook and wrote some of the interepretations found in the the NAPBL/PBUC Blue Book. Both of these are used extensively in professional baseball.

Jim is also a gentleman. Given several opportunities to bad mouth his competition, he declined each time. He treated everyone with respect and made sure we left the Classic better people as well as better umpires. Jim is principled and demonstrates that by example.

Yes, Jim uses minor league upires as instructors. He uses those who perform crips two-man mechaincs every game and are continually evaluated and rated on it, rather than someone who last worked two-man fifteen years ago. Neither does he bring in big leaguers for photo-ops and golf.

As a former educator, I recognized tremendous skills in Jim to not only teach, but also to train; and they are separate but equally important aspects of education. Jim has put more umpires in the pros since the inception of his school than anyone, and that is a verifiable fact.

When the MLB had to recommend someone to train umpires in Japan, it was Jim that got the nod. He is the only American to train umpires in Japan.

True, Jim may not always be able to return phone calls immediately. He travels extensively both in the US and internationally speaking and training.

The best endorsement I can give is that I am sending my son to Jim's...and I don't trust just anyone with my son.

[Edited by GarthB on Nov 22nd, 2004 at 04:29 PM]