Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I would not expect the PU to ring up strike 3 on a 3-1 count. Also, R1 must suspect that there might be a check swing appeal since he saw the same thing I did, and there is no rush to go to 2B. I don't see it as my job to let them know where they stand until PU asks me if I saw a swing.
Maybe this should be a new topic; however -

As the BU, have you ever called a batter out on, what COULD have been, an uncaught third strike?

In other words, the batter swings at a pitch in the dirt for strike three and you, as the BU, can clearly see that the catcher caught the ball. That may not be so evident to the PU. So, instead of allowing all hell to break loose, you bellow out, "Batter's out!"

I've done that before and I'm wondering if should be doing that. What do you think?

Or, as in the current discussion - should I wait for my partner to ask me?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
On bases, I have never called a batter out at the plate, without an appeal from my partner. Off hand, the only call I can think of, that I would make on a batter at the plate, without being asked, is a foul ball off the batter, or off the batter's bat, while still in the box, and whether I am BU or PU, that call will be discussed in pre-game. Otherwise, PU is going to have to ask me for a call.

In the example given, if the batter swings on a two strike count, my partner will ring him up if he thought the catcher caught the ball before a bounce, otherwise he will say something like "he went" but not ring him up. All hell can break loose, the coaches, players, and fans can all be shouting for me to make a call, but I am with my wingman. Only if he asks do I have a call to make.

If my wingman asks me about a check swing, I make that call immediately. If he asks me about something else I think we need to confer, and then he makes the call. Example: pitch grazes the batter, I think so, but my partner does not call it. I say nothing, until the complaints come and my partner comes to me for what I saw. "You did not call it, so I am inclined to think it did not happen, but from my vantage point I am pretty sure it did, so it's your call to change and if you do I am with you on the change. If you don't I am ok with that also".

[Edited by DG on Nov 2nd, 2004 at 10:57 PM]
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by David Emerling

Having said that, consider the following:

OBR. 2-man umpire crew.

R1. Count of 3-1. Check swing, PU does not call the pitch a strike. R1 thinks that the batter has walked so he starts trotting down to 2nd. Instead of appealing, the catcher rifles the ball down to 2nd and a rundown ensues.

What is the BU supposed to do? The PU just called the pitch a ball. What if the BU is of the opinion that it was a strike ... but he hasn't been asked yet?

The aforementioned is no different than an appeal for a runner missing the base.

If the PU did not ring up the BR, as BU I'm simply going to say Ball 4 to let the offense / defense know what is happening right now because at that very moment it is for all practical purposes ball 4 unless appealed.

If the BU says ball 4 that should stop the rundown. If it doesn't and there is a tag attempt the call is safe because again at this point (Until appealed), R1 is entitled to second base without liability to be put out.

In reality if the PU didn't go to me "right away", and the action followed, I will go with the PU's call no matter what I thought.

However, let's assume the coach wants to appeal and the BU does in fact call the pitch a strike.

In OBR it's not specifically addressed, but I would not call 2 out on this play. I would also use judgement on where to place R1. Example; if the pitch was a passed ball all the way to the back-stop I would leave R1 at second, however, if the ball was right near F2 and in my judgement R1 would not have made second if the call were made immediately then I put R1 at first.

In FED your scenario is specifically covered in FED case play 10.2.3I

Bottom line, as PU when there is "action" go to your partner immediately on a check swing.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Nov 03, 2004, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
In OBR it's not specifically addressed, but I would not call 2 out on this play.
Yes, it is specificallty addressed.

From 9.02: "Baserunners must be alert to the possibility that the base umpire on appeal from the plate umpire may reverse the call of a ball to the call of a strike, in which event the runner is in jeopardy of being out by the catcher's throw. Also, a catcher must be alert in a base stealing situation if a ball call is reversed to a strike by the base umpire upon appeal from the plate umpire. "
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm the BU, unless its going to be a "gross miss" I'm not going to call a strike in that situation *g*
...a matter of self-preservation!
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

What I have found, is that there is the Awkward Loser Walk after the Awkward Strike Out.

Followed by that Loser-Trumpet "Womp-Womp-Waaa"

But mainly in cartoons.

Hey David,

Its been ages.

I tried to email you, let me know if you received it and we'll continue there.