View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I would not expect the PU to ring up strike 3 on a 3-1 count. Also, R1 must suspect that there might be a check swing appeal since he saw the same thing I did, and there is no rush to go to 2B. I don't see it as my job to let them know where they stand until PU asks me if I saw a swing.
Maybe this should be a new topic; however -

As the BU, have you ever called a batter out on, what COULD have been, an uncaught third strike?

In other words, the batter swings at a pitch in the dirt for strike three and you, as the BU, can clearly see that the catcher caught the ball. That may not be so evident to the PU. So, instead of allowing all hell to break loose, you bellow out, "Batter's out!"

The PU has already signaled the strike - so there's no question about whether the batter went or not. But, it may not be very apparent that the PU is convinced that the ball was caught by the catcher. So, the BU preempts any confusion by "unilaterally" supplying the critical information ... "Batter's out!"

I've done that before and I'm wondering if I should be doing that. What do you think?

Or, as in the current discussion - should I wait for my partner to ask me?

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Nov 4th, 2004 at 03:52 PM]