View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
I don't see a need for the offense to have an immediate answer to the question of whether the batter swung or not, in the example play given. If R1 will stick around 1B long enough the answer will come, there is no rush to go to 2B on the walk, and he can surely see that there might be some question about whether he swung or not, since he checked his swing (or did he?). There is also no immediate need for the defense to know either. If R1 wanders off 1B, or is stealing on the pitch, the catcher should throw him out, and then appeal the swing.

I don't see this mechanic mentioned in the PBUC Manual for the Two Man System and I don't have a J/R, nor do I work MLB. So, I think I will continue to wait until PU asks about a checked swing before I give an answer from the bases.
The reason that both sides need an immediate answer is that without one, you usually get into a full blown shi$house! The defense is going to make a play on R1 - that's their job. R1 is going to head to 2nd because with a 3-1 count, the PU never rang up strike 3 - and that's R1's job. Letting the players know where they stand is our job.