The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

It's getting to be that time of year again.

Papa C, when do you plan on writing the 2005 BRD? Will there be anything different other than the rule updates of cource. Can we purchase in time for Christmas? or purchase a gift certificate from officiating.com to be used at a later date.

Thank You

Pete Booth
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
It's getting to be that time of year again.

Papa C, when do you plan on writing the 2005 BRD? Will there be anything different other than the rule updates of cource. Can we purchase in time for Christmas? or purchase a gift certificate from officiating.com to be used at a later date.

Thank You

Pete Booth
Go here http://shop.officiating.com/x/product/brd2004 and pre-order the 2005 BRD. It's due from the publisher around the middle of January - like always.

There are no new "features"; there are plenty of updates, new plays, insights, quotes, etc.

We are working on the possibility of adding a searchable CD, with hot links for the cross references.

If anyone knows of a reasonably effective security program to make the CD "difficult" to copy, let me know ASAP.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Carl,

I'm not sure if you have this included or not, but does the BRD include Canadian rules differences? If not, do you think it would be possible to add them? There are a number of them, and it would be a nice addition for those of us north of the border.

Here's a link to the Baseball Canada webpage that has a list of the different Canadian rules:

http://www.baseball.ca/eng_doc.cfm?DocID=74&Related=12

What do you think?
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestCoastUmpire
Carl,

I'm not sure if you have this included or not, but does the BRD include Canadian rules differences? If not, do you think it would be possible to add them? There are a number of them, and it would be a nice addition for those of us north of the border.

Here's a link to the Baseball Canada webpage that has a list of the different Canadian rules:

http://www.baseball.ca/eng_doc.cfm?DocID=74&Related=12

What do you think?
Obviously, I don't speak for Carl. (Hell, I rarely speak TO Carl.)

But I can understand why he probably wouldn't include the Canadian "differences".

The BRD compares rules from completely different Codes. FED, OBR, NCAA....

Canadian Rules, like many others, are OBR based with some minor twists and turns, they are not a separate Code. No offense, intended by this comparison, but to include them would be like including all other OBR based rules, such as Little League, PONY, Babe Ruth, Dixie, etc.

Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Garth,

Thanks for the reply. Your explanation makes a lot of sense and is a reasonable way of approaching what is no doubt a complex piece of work. To be honest, I am getting back into umpiring and am learning a lot about how things are now set up. I used to work in the pre-Internet days, so things like FED rules and NCAA rules are new to me (Canadian rules, as you say, are OBR with a few twists and turns). I am going to pick up a copy of the BRD to see what the differences are; I must admit I'm quite intrigued by the differences, and am keen to get back into the game again.

Thanks.