The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 02, 2001, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

JJ:

I don't believe Carl's remarks were directed at the NCAA level. He is aware of continuing attempt to raise the zone in the NCAA. However, they acted by actual rule change, not just a request for enforcement change.

None-the-less, I have yet to find a Div 1 NCAA conference umpire who has completely complied with the repeated requests for an "armpit" level strike. In fact, I haven't found a Div 1 conference ump who has moved the zone more than an inch or two above the belt, on purpose anyway.

If you have moved the zone up to the rulebook level, I'd love to hear from you privately. I am working on an article regarding NCAA's experience with their strike zone rule change.

You can email me at [email protected]

Old Sat Feb 03, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

advice

It appears I have opened up a major can of worms. I am very appreciative of those who posted with excellent insight on calling the plate. However, once and for all, I would like to know what the best stance and position would be for the upcoming year. Again I work a mix of NCAA D2 and D3 games, high school, and American Legion. There is so much information here, that it is hard to sort out the best mechanic. How about hands on the knees in the box position over the top? It is comfortable and consistent in head height.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2001, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: advice

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
It appears I have opened up a major can of worms. I am very appreciative of those who posted with excellent insight on calling the plate. However, once and for all, I would like to know what the best stance and position would be for the upcoming year. Again I work a mix of NCAA D2 and D3 games, high school, and American Legion. There is so much information here, that it is hard to sort out the best mechanic. How about hands on the knees in the box position over the top? It is comfortable and consistent in head height.
In the AL BOX you will have the catcher in front of you, so there's no danger a foul ball will smash your hands against your knees. But resting on the knees, especially in the BOX, will throw your head and back too far forward (back strain) and cause you to dip far too low (coach strain).

The best lock mechanism is muscle memory. You know the drill: Use someone (or an object) for the catcher. Get someone (or a mirror) to tell you when you're varying your lock position too much.

I recommend resting your hands lightly on your upper thighs, barely inches down your legs, as you crouch. Working behind the catcher, the only trick is to be sure you maintain sight of the entire plate. You will know you're too low when you can't see the outside corner. Viewing that spot, instead of guessing at it, is the major point of using the BOX.

Finally, it's much easier to train the muscles early in a game when you're using the BOX position than when you're in the slot. Those who have never tried the BOX always look puzzled when I say that. The point: Everyone must adjust to the catcher's skill level. Where he goes, how he goes: Those impact every umpire, wherever he stands. But in the BOX only the catcher matters. The vagaries of the batter never impact your stance. In other words, in the BOX you must adjust for ONE player only, not TWO.

Let your muscles select the lock position. Use your hands at the top of your legs as a quick guide to the spot.

Finally, in the BOX don't lean too far into the pitch. "Leaning in" from that stance tends to lower your strike zone. The straighter you keep your back, the more your zone will match what amateur batters and catchers expect.

BTW: Never worry about what pitchers expect. They expect that every deliberate attempt they make to throw a strike is a strike. Besides, they are certifiably nuts anyway.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2001, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Carl,
This is very sound advice and it is clear and easy to understand. I will definately practice at home, and cannot wait til the snow is gone so we can start on the field. My organizations have our annuual meetings and clinics coming up and I will make it a point to bring up this advice. Thanks again,
PAblue87
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl Childress
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski
Say Garth, let's get clear on the terminology. The stances are "Box", "Scissors", or "Knee", and the positions are "Slot" and "Over-the-top," right? I work the slot in the box.

Hmm, I learned previously that my eyes should be at the top of the strike zone. Is this too low? It serves me well, but I'm open to consider a change.

P-Sz Amateurs write about two "box" stances: (a) hell-to-toe; and (b) squared. Technically, the NL box is the squared (wrestler's) stance.

Someone said that the Gerry Davis stance is heel-to-toe. I must tell you that stance is clearly on its way out. Most MLUs now use the squared stance. It is simply the old American League stance, shifted left/right about three feet into the appropriate slot.

The reason is crystal: Umpires who routinely call three- to four-hour games need a good, solid, balanced stance. The emergence of the "wrestler's box" is also sounding a death kneel to the scissors.

Finally, until the last 10 years or so, BOX was "over-the-top" (AL) and SLOT was "between catcher and batter" (NL). (The point: BOX was a position, not a stance.) But the PRO graduates appropriated "box" when they began to square up in wrestler's style. Now, the distinctions are all blurred.
Carl,

I'm not so sure the heel-toe, heel-toe is on it's way out. I went to the JEAPU Florida Classic this year and the heel-toe is the ONLY stance Evans teaches at the PRO school. In fact, I beleive they have to work this stance for at least 2 years in PRO ball.

I had been working what you correctly described as the squared box (in the slot) before I went to the classic, but I'm going to work Jim's method this season. I also agree that terminology has gone awry in describing these stances

Lawrence
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

The option is yours

There are no right or wrong stances. For the most part umpiring is a vocation of preference and comfort, as long as you are incorporating the basic fundamentals.

I also went to the Evans Desert Classic in November. According to Jim, the heel-toe is here to stay. With the recent neck and back injuries attributed to the scissors stance at the major league level, the heel-toe is back in vogue.
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The option is yours

Quote:
Originally posted by dani
There are no right or wrong stances. For the most part umpiring is a vocation of preference and comfort, as long as you are incorporating the basic fundamentals.

I also went to the Evans Desert Classic in November. According to Jim, the heel-toe is here to stay. With the recent neck and back injuries attributed to the scissors stance at the major league level, the heel-toe is back in vogue.
Dan,

Most people are aware of guys like Rich Reiker who had neck surgery (attributed to working the scissors) but I remember talking with Adam Dowdy about the stance he used and he said he gotten a concussion before while working the scissors (I think he said something about a flying bat) Anyway, he's back to heel-toe now as well.

Jim talked with us one evening about why he feels the heel toes is the best from a injury standpoint. Of course, the scissors is hard on the legs and neck. But he also talked about Larry Barnett having bad knee problems from working on the knee during his career. As Jim said, you are putting all of your weight on point when you raise up. Interesting stuff...

Lawrence

Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by L.G. Dorsey
I had been working what you correctly described as the squared box (in the slot) before I went to the classic, but I'm going to work Jim's method this season. I also agree that terminology has gone awry in describing these stances.
Lawrence[/B]
Lawrence: First of all, the honcho at the school is certainly going to push what HE likes. Jim was heel-to-toe, so....

Now, I agree that the scissors is AW-ful, heavy on the "AW!" of your muscle strain, etc.

So, for you guys who are great at guessing where the outside corner is (read: slot umpires), you now have three choices: the knee (tough job in a three-man crew), heel-to-toe, or squared slot.

Now you've seen the discussion in this thread about how to point the feet in heel/toe: both forward, one splayed, both splayed.

You tell me: Which stance is easier to assume? which stance offers a rock solid foundation? which stance has a smaller chance of interfering with the catcher?

You got it. The very stance you've been using throughout your career. Take my advice: Dance with the girl you took to the prom. Fooling around can get you shot!