View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 05, 2001, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The option is yours

Quote:
Originally posted by dani
There are no right or wrong stances. For the most part umpiring is a vocation of preference and comfort, as long as you are incorporating the basic fundamentals.

I also went to the Evans Desert Classic in November. According to Jim, the heel-toe is here to stay. With the recent neck and back injuries attributed to the scissors stance at the major league level, the heel-toe is back in vogue.
Dan,

Most people are aware of guys like Rich Reiker who had neck surgery (attributed to working the scissors) but I remember talking with Adam Dowdy about the stance he used and he said he gotten a concussion before while working the scissors (I think he said something about a flying bat) Anyway, he's back to heel-toe now as well.

Jim talked with us one evening about why he feels the heel toes is the best from a injury standpoint. Of course, the scissors is hard on the legs and neck. But he also talked about Larry Barnett having bad knee problems from working on the knee during his career. As Jim said, you are putting all of your weight on point when you raise up. Interesting stuff...

Lawrence