View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 03, 2001, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: advice

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
It appears I have opened up a major can of worms. I am very appreciative of those who posted with excellent insight on calling the plate. However, once and for all, I would like to know what the best stance and position would be for the upcoming year. Again I work a mix of NCAA D2 and D3 games, high school, and American Legion. There is so much information here, that it is hard to sort out the best mechanic. How about hands on the knees in the box position over the top? It is comfortable and consistent in head height.
In the AL BOX you will have the catcher in front of you, so there's no danger a foul ball will smash your hands against your knees. But resting on the knees, especially in the BOX, will throw your head and back too far forward (back strain) and cause you to dip far too low (coach strain).

The best lock mechanism is muscle memory. You know the drill: Use someone (or an object) for the catcher. Get someone (or a mirror) to tell you when you're varying your lock position too much.

I recommend resting your hands lightly on your upper thighs, barely inches down your legs, as you crouch. Working behind the catcher, the only trick is to be sure you maintain sight of the entire plate. You will know you're too low when you can't see the outside corner. Viewing that spot, instead of guessing at it, is the major point of using the BOX.

Finally, it's much easier to train the muscles early in a game when you're using the BOX position than when you're in the slot. Those who have never tried the BOX always look puzzled when I say that. The point: Everyone must adjust to the catcher's skill level. Where he goes, how he goes: Those impact every umpire, wherever he stands. But in the BOX only the catcher matters. The vagaries of the batter never impact your stance. In other words, in the BOX you must adjust for ONE player only, not TWO.

Let your muscles select the lock position. Use your hands at the top of your legs as a quick guide to the spot.

Finally, in the BOX don't lean too far into the pitch. "Leaning in" from that stance tends to lower your strike zone. The straighter you keep your back, the more your zone will match what amateur batters and catchers expect.

BTW: Never worry about what pitchers expect. They expect that every deliberate attempt they make to throw a strike is a strike. Besides, they are certifiably nuts anyway.