The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I don't do baseball (only football and basketball), but you've got to applaud the job done tonight by the ALCS crew. Great job all around.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
WOW! They reversed Marsh's no-call to interference, which was EXACTLY the right call. Marsh was screened by Mientcivich's body and he couldn't see A-Rod's action.

Bush league move by A-Rod.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

A-hole... i mean A-rod should have been ejected
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I hope Windy was watching!

NO ONE reversed anything until Marsh came to West and asked for help.

Marsh made the original call. He was obviously screened, but it was his call and he made it. Joe West and ALL of the other umpires stayed out of it, until Francona came out. He tried to go to West, who sent him to Marsh. Marsh then called West over and got help. Then Marsh called A-Rod out.

EXACTLY the way it should be done. No ump jumped in on Marsh's call. Marsh asked for help, got it, and changed his own call.

Joe West did not come offer help until asked, even though he saw something Marsh did not. And even though other umps saw something (or they would not have convinced Marsh), the PU did not make the changed call, the ump that made it did it.

Well done.

And McCarver still butchered the description of the play and the rule.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmckenna
A-hole... I mean A-rod should have been ejected.
In any other non-playoff game, I might say that also (not sure if I could get an ejection in the pros.) In fact, in a game last year with the Braves and (?), Robert Fick was ejected for the very same thing, although that was a regular season game.

Quote:
Well done.
What he said
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ficke's actions went FAR beyond what A-Rod did. Cox even sat Ficke down for his actions that day. Ficke did not slap the ball out of F3's hand, Ficke grabbed an outstretched arm and bent it backward.

Yes, A-Rod should be called out, but I don't think his actions came anywhere near ejection. He did not try to harm anyone, he tried to knock the ball loose. Sure, it was illegal, and he should be out. But he slapped at a glove, he didn't throw a forearm shiver at an opponent.

I hate the Yankees and not even I would have EJed A-Rod.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
LOL!..

Hey, I'm from Huntsville and I'll be in ATL next Wednesday for the Queensryche show. It should be fun.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Definately a great job by this veteran crew.

A-rod is nothing more than a $250 cheater
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Kudos to the crew.

Also props to Jeff Kellogg, doing a great job during a 6 hour marathon behind the plate Monday night.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Atl Blue
Ficke's actions went FAR beyond what A-Rod did. Cox even sat Ficke down for his actions that day. Ficke did not slap the ball out of F3's hand, Ficke grabbed an outstretched arm and bent it backward.

Yes, A-Rod should be called out, but I don't think his actions came anywhere near ejection. He did not try to harm anyone, he tried to knock the ball loose. Sure, it was illegal, and he should be out. But he slapped at a glove, he didn't throw a forearm shiver at an opponent.

He was going to be out anyhow - worth a shot.

Marsh signaled safe to mean "no tag" and the announcers wondered why he was calling safe when A-Rod hadn't touched first. Maybe the umps should demand announcer training in their next contract negotiations.
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Marsh signaled safe to mean "no tag" and the announcers wondered why he was calling safe when A-Rod hadn't touched first. Maybe the umps should demand announcer training in their next contract negotiations.
Well, I think the 'announcers' can get a mulligan here as it was Lieter [read: player], not McCarver or Buck, who wondered why he called him safe. McCarver quickly, and correctly, said he signaled 'safe' to mean 'no tag'.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

I guess the "Get it Right" philosophy is working. My only question is C.C. Randy Marsh said in a press conference after the game that "the runner(s) must return to the base occupied at the time of the interference". If that's the case, why did Jeter get put back on first base rather than second base. It look like Jeter was already at second base by the time Arroyo attempted to tag Rodriguez (after all, it was a slow roller that Arroyo was going to flip the ball to first base when he realized that Mienkiewtz (sp?) was off the bag - he then reached to tag A-Rod). Anybody see or got anything different???
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

The "return to base occupied at time of interference" clause applies only if the runner in question has already achieved first base. In this case the interfernce occurred before the batter-runner reached first, thus the runner is returned to the last occupied base.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kbaerslt
When the interference happened had all runners including the batter runner reached one base? No, that is why Jeter got sent back to first.

On the other hand when a team screws up like that, we need to punish them with the worst penalty.

I might be wrong but I am sticking to it.
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jpc2119
Definately a great job by this veteran crew.

A-rod is nothing more than a $250 cheater
You mean a $250,000,000 cheater.