The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

A RH pitcher can turn/pivot on the right foot, correct?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 09:58am

Talking Balk Squalk

First...Bob
The "commitment to pitch" yo mention is achieved by lifting the left leg to (or toward) the balance point.

Since you were being picky before, don't you mean "you"? Touché

Originally posted by Cubbies87
I was asked (term used loosely) the other day as to whether a RH pitcher could pick to first base without disengaging the rubber and without using the jump.

My knee jerk response to the umpire who asked me was no. He then went on to the real reason for asking me...he wanted to prove me wrong.

He explained it that as long as the pitcher were to step directly to first and gain distance and direction, what would be the infraction?

I tried doing this. It is damn near impossible (and not comfortable) to keep your pivot foot in contact with the rubber and step directly to first with your left. I would have asked the coach to show me how I guy can do this (on a mound). When (if) he does, I would ask if he was teaching his kid to do this. Then, I would balk him the first time I saw it.

Cowboyfan1...the jump turn is a legal move. You would need a stop action camera to see if he landed first before he threw it. Yes, distance and direction are the key component for calling a balk, but if he is jumping and throwing to first, he is not possibly deceiving the batter. Runners have seen this move for twenty years.