The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

I am a little confused. So if a pitcher lifts his pivot foot, and before it touches the ground, he lifts his non pivor foot, is this a jump turn?
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

It would be virtualy impossible to lift the free foot while the pivot foot is in the air.

When using the jump step the pitcher jumps with BOTH FEET simultaneously.

The mechanics of a jump step are not much different from the regular move but it is, of course, quicker. G.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
It would be virtualy impossible to lift the free foot while the pivot foot is in the air.
Then how does a person hop on one foot?

Quote:
The mechanics of a jump step are not much different from the regular move but it is, of course, quicker. G.
I think just the opposite -- the mechanics are different and it's not always quicker (you'll find osme F1's with a quick jump turn, soe with a slow one; some with a quick jab step, some with a slow one; some with a quick "regular" move, some with a slow one.)

Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Hey there, your getting picky'

1. It would be virtualy impossible to lift the free foot while the pivot foot is in the air. Then how does a person hop on one foot?.
------------------------------

Your right but were talking about a pitcher and not a hop scotcher, try it.
--------------------------------------------------------
2. The mechanics of a jump step are not much different from the regular move but it is, of course, quicker.

I think just the opposite -- the mechanics are different and it's not always quicker (you'll find some F1's with a quick jump turn, some with a slow one; some with a quick jab step, some with a slow one; some with a quick "regular" move, some with a slow one.)
--------------------------------------------------------
In a jump step to first the free foot gains distance and direction to first and the pivot foot clears the rubber. If you had a slow motion series on it it would look the same as a regular pick.

I've seen a slow 'regular' move to first but not a slow jab step and how can you have a slow, as opposed to a fast, jump step? A jump is a jump.

If a pitchers Jab or Jump step is slow, why even go there? Gee (WHIZ).
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Hey there, your getting picky'
That should be "you're getting picky."

Quote:
1. It would be virtualy impossible to lift the free foot while the pivot foot is in the air. Then how does a person hop on one foot?.
------------------------------

Your right but were talking about a pitcher and not a hop scotcher, try it.
Just did it -- it works fine (although it is slow -- that wasn't the point of the question).
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

A jump turn is not a balk.
Old Fri Jun 18, 2004, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just did it -- it works fine.
--------------------

Glad I got you off YOU'RE arse.(:<)

[Edited by Gee on Jun 18th, 2004 at 06:38 PM]
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Yes it is if the pitcher throws before he lands. The pitcher has not obtained distance and direction while still in the air.

[Edited by cowbyfan1 on Jun 22nd, 2004 at 05:22 AM]

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Yes it is if the pitcher throws before he lands. The pitcher has not obtained distance and direction while still in the air.

----

Have you ever called this a balk? What was the response?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
actually no as I have never seen it live before. But if I did see it I would call it in a heartbeat.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
actually no as I have never seen it live before. But if I did see it I would call it in a heartbeat.
Good luck to you!
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

So a RH pitcher, jump turns and attempts pick off at first, and ball goes out of play. This is a 2 base award, correct?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

No

No LDUB. When a RH pitcher uses the "jump move" to pick a runner at first, he is considered to still be in contact with the rubber.

This is important for two main reasons (assuming FED rules): A) If the ball goes out of play it is a one base award B) He MUST throw to first (if he feints it is a balk)

On a slightly different note that I think may have been discussed and beaten to death...

I was asked (term used loosely) the other day as to whether a RH pitcher could pick to first base without disengaging the rubber and without using the jump.

My knee jerk response to the umpire who asked me was no. He then went on to the real reason for asking me...he wanted to prove me wrong.

He explained it that as long as the pitcher were to step directly to first and gain distance and direction, what would be the infraction?

I replied that the pitcher would commit himself to pitching in some way or another, and if the game warranted an explanation, I would say he committed himself to pitching. The balk rules are in place to prevent the pitcher from deceiving the runner, and a RH pitcher picking to first without disengaging or jumping is deceitful.

Am I correct?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: No

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87
No LDUB. When a RH pitcher uses the "jump move" to pick a runner at first, he is considered to still be in contact with the rubber.

This is important for two main reasons (assuming FED rules): A) If the ball goes out of play it is a one base award B) He MUST throw to first (if he feints it is a balk)
Yeah I thought it was one base. But I have another question. What is different about FED rules about jump turns?
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: No

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87
I was asked (term used loosely) the other day as to whether a RH pitcher could pick to first base without disengaging the rubber and without using the jump.

My knee jerk response to the umpire who asked me was no. He then went on to the real reason for asking me...he wanted to prove me wrong.

He explained it that as long as the pitcher were to step directly to first and gain distance and direction, what would be the infraction?

I replied that the pitcher would commit himself to pitching in some way or another, and if the game warranted an explanation, I would say he committed himself to pitching. The balk rules are in place to prevent the pitcher from deceiving the runner, and a RH pitcher picking to first without disengaging or jumping is deceitful.

Am I correct?
No, you are not correct. IS the LH required to disengage? Are the rules different for RH pitchers?

The "commitment to pitch" yo mention is achieved by lifting the left leg to (or toward) the balance point. If the pitcher doesn't do that, and lifts the left foot only enough to clear the ground in the step toward first, it's a legal move.