Thread: Jump Turn
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Re: No

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubbies87
I was asked (term used loosely) the other day as to whether a RH pitcher could pick to first base without disengaging the rubber and without using the jump.

My knee jerk response to the umpire who asked me was no. He then went on to the real reason for asking me...he wanted to prove me wrong.

He explained it that as long as the pitcher were to step directly to first and gain distance and direction, what would be the infraction?

I replied that the pitcher would commit himself to pitching in some way or another, and if the game warranted an explanation, I would say he committed himself to pitching. The balk rules are in place to prevent the pitcher from deceiving the runner, and a RH pitcher picking to first without disengaging or jumping is deceitful.

Am I correct?
No, you are not correct. IS the LH required to disengage? Are the rules different for RH pitchers?

The "commitment to pitch" yo mention is achieved by lifting the left leg to (or toward) the balance point. If the pitcher doesn't do that, and lifts the left foot only enough to clear the ground in the step toward first, it's a legal move.