Thread: Jump Turn
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 24, 2004, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

No

No LDUB. When a RH pitcher uses the "jump move" to pick a runner at first, he is considered to still be in contact with the rubber.

This is important for two main reasons (assuming FED rules): A) If the ball goes out of play it is a one base award B) He MUST throw to first (if he feints it is a balk)

On a slightly different note that I think may have been discussed and beaten to death...

I was asked (term used loosely) the other day as to whether a RH pitcher could pick to first base without disengaging the rubber and without using the jump.

My knee jerk response to the umpire who asked me was no. He then went on to the real reason for asking me...he wanted to prove me wrong.

He explained it that as long as the pitcher were to step directly to first and gain distance and direction, what would be the infraction?

I replied that the pitcher would commit himself to pitching in some way or another, and if the game warranted an explanation, I would say he committed himself to pitching. The balk rules are in place to prevent the pitcher from deceiving the runner, and a RH pitcher picking to first without disengaging or jumping is deceitful.

Am I correct?

Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball.
- Harry Caray