The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 21, 2004, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Babe Ruth 13-15 yr olds. Runner on 2nd. F1 spins on pivot foot towards 2B as R2 breaks towards 3B. R2 stops 1/2 way to 3B and Pitcher, without disengaging from the rubber, and pumps his arm with the ball three or 4 times trying to get R2 to commit in one direction.

I know that F1 does not have to throw the ball to 2B. Does that give him the right to stand on the rubber and feint a throw?

I was an observer at this game so no call on my part. I think it was a balk when F1 did not disengage and still as, a pitcher, was deceiving R2 by pumping his arm. Neither the PU or BU called it.

What's the call?

Old Sat May 22, 2004, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
I’ve got nothing also.

The pitcher’s back is to the plate, he gained distance and direction towards 2nd, he is facing the runner. Sounds like he is not trying to deceive the runner to me.

Under the above circumstances, the pitcher is allowed to feint a throw to 2nd. The book doesn’t actually say he can only feint once.

Nick
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by CVLLBlue
Babe Ruth 13-15 yr olds. Runner on 2nd. F1 spins on pivot foot towards 2B as R2 breaks towards 3B. R2 stops 1/2 way to 3B and Pitcher, without disengaging from the rubber, and pumps his arm with the ball three or 4 times trying to get R2 to commit in one direction.

I know that F1 does not have to throw the ball to 2B. Does that give him the right to stand on the rubber and feint a throw?

I was an observer at this game so no call on my part. I think it was a balk when F1 did not disengage and still as, a pitcher, was deceiving R2 by pumping his arm. Neither the PU or BU called it.

What's the call?

I I I T B T S B.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 07:23am
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by CVLLBlue

What's the call?

It is a balk if a pitcher steps (ie, steps and throws, or steps and feints a throw, or steps only) to an unoccupied base unless a runner is advancing toward and trying to acquire such base.

What was the free foot doing? Still planted or was direction and distance being applied?

mick
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

It is a balk if a pitcher steps (ie, steps and throws, or steps and feints a throw, or steps only) to an unoccupied base unless a runner is advancing toward and trying to acquire such base.

What was the free foot doing? Still planted or was direction and distance being applied?

mick
Since he turned towards second and feinted, which was the last legally occupied base of the runner at the time, why does this matter?

[Edited by GarthB on May 22nd, 2004 at 02:38 PM]
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 02:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:

mick
Since he turned towards second and feinted, which was the last legally occupied base of the runner at the time, why does this matter?

Feint, no step ---> balk.
Old Sat May 22, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mick

Mick: The original poster said that "F1 spins on pivot foot towards 2B." I have a hard time visualizing a right-handed pitcher spinning around on his right foot around toward second without "stepping."

In 50 seasons of umpiring I have never seen an experienced umpire call a balk on a move to second. In fact...

IIITOTSB!

Old Sat May 22, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

mick

Mick, Papa C has given you a hint. please decipher.
"I I I T B T S B" , "I I I T B T S B", I I I T B T S B".

Old Sat May 22, 2004, 02:44pm
In Memoriam

Red face Aaaaargh !

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Quote:

Mick: The original poster said that "F1 spins on pivot foot towards 2B." I have a hard time visualizing a right-handed pitcher spinning around on his right foot around toward second without "stepping."

In 50 seasons of umpiring I have never seen an experienced umpire call a balk on a move to second. In fact...

IIITOTSB!

[/B][/QUOTE]

Carl and Garth,
I see said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw.
He stepped when he spun. I was thinkin' it coulda been a right-hander upper body turn/twist/feint thingy.
Couldn't see that from U.P. here.
Thanks,
mick

Yes, jicecone, it is impossible....

Old Tue May 25, 2004, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

I think it depends on if the foot left the rubber or not. In Dixie Boys, it would be a balk if the pitcher, from the stretch, was set, and then spun around with foot still planted on rubber and only faked a throw. If he stepped off the rubber, he could do the macarena and it wouldn't be a balk.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WillSun
I think it depends on if the foot left the rubber or not. In Dixie Boys, it would be a balk if the pitcher, from the stretch, was set, and then spun around with foot still planted on rubber and only faked a throw. If he stepped off the rubber, he could do the macarena and it wouldn't be a balk.
Coach: Not to put too fine a point on it: You're just wrong.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

On which point?
Are you saying the pitcher doesn't have to remove the foot from the rubber?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
On which point?
Are you saying the pitcher doesn't have to remove the foot from the rubber?
I don't speak for Carl, but, yep, I'm betting that's what he's saying.

In another thread someone said Dixie plays by OBR. Can you find anything there that supports your position?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Is it only when faking to 2b? If a right handed pitcher faked to 3b without removing foot from pitching plate, it would be called a balk every time...
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not to be redundant, but coach please give us the reference that says the F1 must be off the rubber to fake to second?

And if he could spin and keep his foot on the rubber, he'd probably need therapy for a dislocated hip.

Thanks
David