The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WillSun
Is it only when faking to 2b? If a right handed pitcher faked to 3b without removing foot from pitching plate, it would be called a balk every time...
Why?

OBR 8.05...if there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when-

(b)The pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw;

Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have my rulebook in front of me, and Dixie's website is very limited. I'm just going by my own experiences. I've never seen a balk to second either, it's just hypothetical.
They have been calling balk like crazy this season, and I guess I'm just confused on the issue. My understanding is that the pitcher must pitch from the stretch when there are baserunners, and once he is set, he must pitch or throw to a base, unless he steps off the rubber, in which case he can fake a throw... Now if this is wrong, I'm even more confused....
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it only when faking to 2b? If a right handed pitcher faked to 3b without removing foot from pitching plate, it would be called a balk every time...
I don't know where you get that from?

Rule 8.05 is listed to the relevant portion below. The relevant portion is A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps.

OBR 8.05
If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when_ (a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery; If a left-handed or right-handed pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher's rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick off play. (b) The pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw; (c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base; Requires the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base. If a pitcher turns or spins off of his free foot without actually stepping or if he turns his body and throws before stepping, it is a balk. A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps....
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

"A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps...."
????
Uh, ok... So he steps but doesn't have to throw, but he has to throw because he steps.... ????

I give up.....
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have my rulebook in front of me, and Dixie's website is very limited. I'm just going by my own experiences. I've never seen a balk to second either, it's just hypothetical.
They have been calling balk like crazy this season, and I guess I'm just confused on the issue. My understanding is that the pitcher must pitch from the stretch when there are baserunners, and once he is set, he must pitch or throw to a base, unless he steps off the rubber, in which case he can fake a throw... Now if this is wrong, I'm even more confused....
If, as reported, Dixie uses OBR, then this is wrong. If they've made up their own pitching regulations you could be right. But if they've tinkered with the rules that much, they should stop advertising that they use OBR.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Assuming the pitcher stepped towards the base, it should NOT be called a balk, ANY TIME.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps...."
????
Uh, ok... So he steps but doesn't have to throw, but he has to throw because he steps.... ????

I give up.....
Did you miss the reference to first base only?

It isn't really that hard, coach.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go to MLB.com and look for their section on the rules.

They have them all online.

Dixie used them with the few exceptions that are listed in the Dixie rule book.

With runners on, the F1 may pitch from the windup or the stretch.

If he chooses to pitch from the stretch, as mentioned above, he can throw to any base (must step toward the base first) or feint to second or third.

If he steps to throw to first and is in contact with the rubber, then he must "throw the ball."

That's not really that hard I don't think.

Thanks
David

Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
On which point?
Are you saying the pitcher doesn't have to remove the foot from the rubber?
You CAN'T be wrong on the second point because the pitcher legally removed his foot from the rubber.

IIITBTSB!
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

We play Dixie here Garth and its OBR.

Thanks
David

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
If, as reported, Dixie uses OBR, then this is wrong. If they've made up their own pitching regulations you could be right. But if they've tinkered with the rules that much, they should stop advertising that they use OBR.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

I noticed the reference to 1B. It's just confusing the way it's worded. So, a pitcher can fake to any base except first as long as they step toward the base?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I tinks we almost got im learnded Willie.

Yep.

Now you see what we have to go through when were trying to learn All the balks and rules for each different League.

Good Job
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I know you guys must get frustrated with a rookie like myself, but I'm just a volunteer coach trying to learn as much as I can.

I have been told by more than one ump that in Dixie Boys, you MUST pitch from the stretch with baserunners. Which only makes sense, but they are very strict in teaching the boys proper form.
We have a kid on our team who is a great pitcher, but a few years back he was in an auto accident and has pins in his legs and a plate in his hip. It is difficult for him to pitch from what they consider the stretch, and he is constantly getting called on balks...
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Will - not sure why you'd say the Dixie website is not helpful - it has a full copy of the rulebook on line (unlike other books).

There is NO rule in the Dixie rulebook that says the pitcher MUST pitch from the set position with runners on base.

Here's the bizarro rule regarding balks (quote this one to your next ump!) in Dixie Baseball.

8.05 - NO PENALTY: Any pitch or any action by the pitcher construed as a balk by the umpire shall be declared a no pitch. The ball is dead and no runner shall advance.

Strangely, it also DOES NOT mention that feinting a throw to 1st base without throwing is a balk. (And with no penalty, who cares if it does, except for the dead ball).

As mentioned many times, Dixie does NOT use OBR, and Dixie rules are a mess.
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

It has a rules index, but it only hits on major topics. For instance, the only rules concerning the pitcher are about the number of innings one can pitch... Nothing more... (Unless there's some sort of backdoor link not listed)