The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 19, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Carl Childress

If a runner goes in front of a fielder and interferes, call him out and return other runners unless forced to advance because the batter was awarded first.

If a batter retreats from the batter's box and interferes, even inadvertently, with no evil intent, somebody is out, depending on the number of outs if the play is at the plate, or the batter if the play is at a base.

Papa C here's an exerp from the thread

13-14 year old boys, runner on 3rd ball goes off the mitt and rolls out behind the batter, but not all the way to the screen. As the catcher starts after the ball his path is parallel to the path of the batter as he backs out of the box and they lock up for 2 or 3 steps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but since we do not have a Clean catch of the pitch by F2, the provisions of 6.06(c) do not apply. We apply rule 7.11 which would mean we would need intent before ruling interference.

In the case presented, it was the defense who erred. We have R3 coming home, so B1 is supposed to vacate any space needed in order for F2 to make a play. If B1 stayed stationary and prevented F1 from taking the throw from F2 I would agree, call the interference, but here we have the defense making the error, why "let them off the hook" by ruling interference unless it was intentional?

Thanks