View Single Post
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 01:37am
We don't rent pigs

13-14 year old boys, runner on 3rd ball goes off the mitt and rolls out behind the batter, but not all the way to the screen. As the catcher starts after the ball his path is parallel to the path of the batter as he backs out of the box and they lock up for 2 or 3 steps. I described it later that "they did a little dance together" and the plate umpire agreed with me. This contact certainly impacted the play, probably realistically taking us from a slim chance (25%?) for an out to certainly no chance at all and the run scored. As luck would have it, this was the young guy behind the plate's very first game in that capacity, so I chose not to ask him for the call, instead turning to our vet in the field and asking,
"What about an interference call on the batter on my catcher?" He said, "What about a what?" (He didn't see the play.) I said, "Never mind." Now, as I read 7.08 (g) somebody is out, either the runner or the batter, (I believe there were 2 out when this occurred.) whether this interference was intentional or not. Is this correct? More importantly, at this level, how would some of you have handled this situation? If I press the issue with the "crew chief" and he gets the young guy to confirm my description of the play, might he make a call? Or should this be a case of: They're kids playing ball. He didn't do it intentionally. Let it go.

Lonesome Dove