View Single Post
Old Tue May 18, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Poor kids. Coaches won't coach them properly, and umpires not helping them out (in the long run) by calling it properly.

Anyway, back to the sitch at hand - I understand your point about the vet ump and the apprentice at home. So in this case, let's assume then that the BU really DIDN'T see the play. Your proper action is still to talk to PU to ascertain what he saw. If he was positioned wrong, was looking wrong, etc - and simply didn't see what you saw, then you just have to live with it. If you learn, after talking with PU, that he DID see what you saw, but just ruled wrong, I'm sure that if you let him know in a polite manner that he should go tell BU what he saw so that they could rule properly, you'd have gotten your call.

PS - I was PU (and area-UIC) in a sitch with a brand new 16-year old BU who truly wanted to learn (he's getting better each week). There was clear interference by R2 on F6 right in front of him, but he didn't remember exactly what to call. He obviously knew SOMEthing was wrong, but didn't vocalize. I went out and simply asked him what he saw, explained the rule to him, and let HIM make the proper call. We were ALL better off this way.