The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Got a e-mail Wednesday night from an acquitance who is an assingor that I normally don't work for looking for someone bail him out and to work a varstiy game Thursday. I took it and worked the game last night. Partner showed up and I asked him if he wanted the bases or plate. He said this was his second year and would rather have the bases. Fine, I'll take the dish though I would rather have the new guy take the plate because you need to learn that positon the most. I change and meet him behind the backstop. He is wearing: black pants, a blue little leage shirt, black button up jacket and a black Ace Hardware hat. Got a feeling it is going to be a long game, Anyway we have detailed pre-game during which I tell him he has all steals and he says fine and doesn't ask any questions. Game starts and his "A" position is fine. Runner singles, is on first and his new "B" position in about 20' toward second base from his "A" position in the outfield. Runner steals second and he never moves and makes the call. Runner is now on second his position never changes, he has no "C" position. If the runner goes steals third or there is a wild pitch he is going to make the call over 110' away. Go to him after inning and remind him about proper two man mechanics. He says he always works there because he get a "better angle" and he never works in the infield. Both coaches ask me about his position and I said I'll talk to him after the innning. Between innings I go down there and he is on his cell phone! He hangs up and I mention his positioning again he repeats that where his always calls from. For the balance of the game he was on the phone between every half inning, can o'corn fly balls he is watching the ball as opposed to runner. Bases loaded deep sac fly he watches the ball and not the runner tagging from first, they appeal and he had no clue what an appeal was. For the balance of the contest he never moved to the infield and I wound up taking all steals of third (glad there was only one). Personlly I didn't think my partner is ready for varsity games. My question is, should I call his assignor and tell him all this since I don't usually work for him? My partner told me he has some more tow man varisty games coming up.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I do not think there is any question about calling the assignor about your partner's behavior during the game. This partner made you look bad in front of players, coaches, fans, school administration, and possibly your supervisor in the way he worked the bases.

Then, he really went over the line by using his cell phone every half inning. No umpire should be taking their cell phone with them on the field no matter what level of a game you are working.

Yes, you need to call or email your supervisor right away and advise him of what happened throughout this game. If the supervisor does not deal with the situation, then you have done everything possible within your control to correct this situation.

I would also apologize to both teams for this situation occuring, and then forward and letter or emails that you use or receive from the official or supervisor involving this matter. That way, you have shown good faith to the schools to solve this situation.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking I cannot resist

Quote:
Originally posted by 5 sport ref
...He is wearing: black pants, a blue little league shirt, black button up jacket and a black Ace Hardware hat. ...
Given the back and forth that I just engaged in on the paid part of this site, I have a question:

"Are you saying that he was a Little League umpire?"
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I cannot resist

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
...He is wearing: black pants, a blue little league shirt, black button up jacket and a black Ace Hardware hat. ...
Given the back and forth that I just engaged in on the paid part of this site, I have a question:

"Are you saying that he was a Little League umpire?"
At the very least he sounds "small-diamond" trained. I know of no other kind of trained umpire who attempts to work "outside" on a 90' diamond.

Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

"I would also apologize to both teams for this situation occuring, and then forward and letter or emails that you use or receive from the official or supervisor involving this matter. That way, you have shown good faith to the schools to solve this situation."

There are probably not enough officials around to begin with. If your going to sell them down the drain by sucking up to the teams then you probably are going to get even less officials.

What you have is a tough situation here that should be handled with gloves. The teams will know whats happening. You dont have to try and make yourself look good at the expense of a potential umpire. Try the positive approach and deal with it as a 1 man game if you have to. After the game, (and I always carry my manuals), call the kid over to your car and show him what it takes to handle the mechanics properly. Lend him the book if you have too. Hey we all stunk when we first started.

Wouldn't it be much more rewarding seeing that official on the field again with you, doing what was right. I would definetly call the assignor and ask him to send me with this guy to do some lower level games, so I would know he was getting the right training. Being a good official is one thing, passing on the knowledge is another.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Jice,

I agree with you with working with this official again to share knowledge on to be a better umpire in the future is the right route to go.

However, the point I was trying to make with the apology comment, was not trying to suck up to the schools, but showing the honest, apologetic side of umpiring that we all should use once in a while when something like this happens.

Yes, maybe to a point it comes across as sucking up to the schools, but I just think it is the right thing to do as well.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I would like to point out this was not a young guy but someone in his mid-40's. He is an IHSA umpire so I know he has the manuals. The state website show that he does softball, baseball and basketbal so he is not a newbie to officiating. I tried to talk to him after we got to the cars but he had to go. I tried to help him out twice telling him to move inside the diamond and he refused. I did what I could do with him during the game. What he really needed was a clinic. I did what jicecone suggested and try to call all I could as an one umpire game. The one thing I was worried about was a safe call by one of us and an out by the other especially at third base since he was 110' away and I told him he had all steals.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

I hear you John and mabey I overreacted here. It seems that mabey this individual either just doesn't care or was too embarassed to want to face the truth. If it was the first case then mabey the harsher approach may be necessary. Call the assignor and tell him the problem, 1. He is bad 2. He just doesn't care. Sometime the positive approach falls flat also.

We had a gentlemen in our association that way and set him down in front of the board and said "ship up or ship out". It worked for a while and then he left. Yea I know Im waffeling here a bit, but at least you have to try.
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One thing I would like to point out this was not a young guy but someone in his mid-40's. He is an IHSA umpire so I know he has the manuals. The state website show that he does softball, baseball and basketbal so he is not a newbie to officiating. I tried to talk to him after we got to the cars but he had to go. I tried to help him out twice telling him to move inside the diamond and he refused. I did what I could do with him during the game. What he really needed was a clinic. I did what jicecone suggested and try to call all I could as an one umpire game. The one thing I was worried about was a safe call by one of us and an out by the other especially at third base since he was 110' away and I told him he had all steals.
is he up to date on his IHSAness? (haha thats a new word)
ie. has he ever attended a clinic or meeting that the IHSA requires?

im going to say thats doubtful
Old Sat Mar 27, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

And I agree with your approach as well about sitting one down and laying it out to them point blank. I do not think you overeacted jice. You are a fellow official and respect your thoughts and opinions on this topic.

This almost falls into the either way I go, I am going to look bad and offend someone column. The one part of officiating that I do not like the most.
Old Sun Mar 28, 2004, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

I have never had to do it, but if I got a partner who was as sorry as the one you describe I would definitely let the booking agent know about it. If we should ever meet again the pre-game discussion would be a training exerices for him.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I agree with all those that say you HAVE to tell the assignor. If you don't, who will? And if no one does, this will continue forever.

One interesting note regarding the cellphone however, and I hope this doesn't put me in a negative light.

Last year I was calling games. Everyone knows me in this area - I coach at lower levels (my kids) and umpire the higher levels (both baseball and softball - 1 association). Before each game, I explained to the coaches that I would have my phone on (not the ringer) during the game, and if anyone had a problem, they could work the game with 2 umps instead of 3. No one had a problem. Often, I was on the phone in between innings, as your guy was. No one had a problem. The reason? Everyone involved knew my wife was 37-39 weeks pregnant, and already on bedrest (and watching my other 2 kids by herself while I was working).

Yes - this an exception to normal practices. And yes, I probably should have stopped working (although my wife wouldn't hear of it). But with everyone knowing the situation and understanding, it was not a problem Even the occasional game where a team outside the locality was visiting, they understood when we talked about it.

So, did you ever ask him what the deal was with the phone? If it was similar, it should have been discussed with the coaches before. If it was nonsense, he should have been told to cut it out or leave. But I didn't read anywhere that you brought it up at all.
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 01:32pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
I know when my wife is pregnant I'll have my cell phone with me. No baseball, basketball or any sporting event is worth me missing the birth of my child. And if I am doing an underclass, "Sorry, gotta go!"
Old Wed Mar 31, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Aaaahhh

The guy obviously sucked and was unconcerned about his performance and therefore unconcerned about the events of the game.

He was unwilling to learn. He was unwilling to fulfill his role as your partner. He was unwilling to pay the proper attention to the game.

HE NEEDS TO BE CANNED.

It appears to me that he was only there for the money and that the game was an inconvenience to his business (phone) needs. If he is involved in officiating the several different sports you listed, he is aware of his responsibilities.

No excuse is viable. I recommend that you tell his assigner and suggest that the assigner get rid of him.