View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 30, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I agree with all those that say you HAVE to tell the assignor. If you don't, who will? And if no one does, this will continue forever.

One interesting note regarding the cellphone however, and I hope this doesn't put me in a negative light.

Last year I was calling games. Everyone knows me in this area - I coach at lower levels (my kids) and umpire the higher levels (both baseball and softball - 1 association). Before each game, I explained to the coaches that I would have my phone on (not the ringer) during the game, and if anyone had a problem, they could work the game with 2 umps instead of 3. No one had a problem. Often, I was on the phone in between innings, as your guy was. No one had a problem. The reason? Everyone involved knew my wife was 37-39 weeks pregnant, and already on bedrest (and watching my other 2 kids by herself while I was working).

Yes - this an exception to normal practices. And yes, I probably should have stopped working (although my wife wouldn't hear of it). But with everyone knowing the situation and understanding, it was not a problem Even the occasional game where a team outside the locality was visiting, they understood when we talked about it.

So, did you ever ask him what the deal was with the phone? If it was similar, it should have been discussed with the coaches before. If it was nonsense, he should have been told to cut it out or leave. But I didn't read anywhere that you brought it up at all.