View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 26, 2004, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Got a e-mail Wednesday night from an acquitance who is an assingor that I normally don't work for looking for someone bail him out and to work a varstiy game Thursday. I took it and worked the game last night. Partner showed up and I asked him if he wanted the bases or plate. He said this was his second year and would rather have the bases. Fine, I'll take the dish though I would rather have the new guy take the plate because you need to learn that positon the most. I change and meet him behind the backstop. He is wearing: black pants, a blue little leage shirt, black button up jacket and a black Ace Hardware hat. Got a feeling it is going to be a long game, Anyway we have detailed pre-game during which I tell him he has all steals and he says fine and doesn't ask any questions. Game starts and his "A" position is fine. Runner singles, is on first and his new "B" position in about 20' toward second base from his "A" position in the outfield. Runner steals second and he never moves and makes the call. Runner is now on second his position never changes, he has no "C" position. If the runner goes steals third or there is a wild pitch he is going to make the call over 110' away. Go to him after inning and remind him about proper two man mechanics. He says he always works there because he get a "better angle" and he never works in the infield. Both coaches ask me about his position and I said I'll talk to him after the innning. Between innings I go down there and he is on his cell phone! He hangs up and I mention his positioning again he repeats that where his always calls from. For the balance of the game he was on the phone between every half inning, can o'corn fly balls he is watching the ball as opposed to runner. Bases loaded deep sac fly he watches the ball and not the runner tagging from first, they appeal and he had no clue what an appeal was. For the balance of the contest he never moved to the infield and I wound up taking all steals of third (glad there was only one). Personlly I didn't think my partner is ready for varsity games. My question is, should I call his assignor and tell him all this since I don't usually work for him? My partner told me he has some more tow man varisty games coming up.

Carol Stream, Illinois
NFHS
ASA