The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Most Amateur Baseball in this Country is umpired using the 2 Person mechanics and IMO the PRO schools need to change the way Umpires position themselves.

Even with 6 Umpires, sinking line drives and Fair / Foul calls are being missed - Reason? IMO the positioning.

Here's what I would like to see and get your opinions on.

If you are going to have 6 umpires, why not station the the LF Ump and RF ump in right and left center respectfully.

The referees in football and basketball are positioned on the playing field and basketball Court respectfully, so why waste U7 and U9 on the Left / right field lines where they have virtually no angle and are missing the shoe string / diving catches.

In the BOSOX / A's series when the Damon collison occured it was U2 who was in position to make the call. To me that's absurd. You have 6 umpires so utilize them properly.

The PU as in a 2 person system should have ALL FAIR / FOUL calls PERIOD.

EXCEPTION: just like in a 2 person system if the ball is hit on a rope right over the first or third base bag. Other than that have the PU make ALL Fair / Foul calls.

U7/U9 would take care of all Catch / No Catch in the Outfield (if they were positioned properly) so the Field Umpires could strictly concentrate on the base runners without worrying about catch vs. no catch in the outfield.

Finally I know it's been talked about but INSTANT REPLAY should be used on those BORDER line Plays for determining Home Runs / Fan Interference. It wouldn't take that much time away from the game.

Ok what's your take on umpire positioning with 6 umpires

Pete Booth