View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by johnSandlin

Does MLB need six umpires in the playoffs and the All Star game? ABSOLUTELY! No question about it, especially now with the All-Star game determining which league will have home field advantage in the World Series.

Have there been some miss calls in the playoffs, yes no question about it. I do not think you would find anyone arguing that point. But, because of the miss calls, does that mean we start saying that six umpires is a waste of time, no we do not.

I know for a fact, that if either one of you were out there right working anyone of these LCS games, you would be happy and absolutely relieved to have six sets of eyes instead f just four sets of eyes like you have in the regular season.

John IMO you are missing the point.

Umpiring is not about how many eyes you have but whether or not you are in the proper position. For the most part, umpires get themselves in trouble because they are out of position.

I am not questioning the integrity of the umpires involved only the mechanics utilized.

Why do you think the PU has all Fair / Foul calls? Reason becasue he/she has the BEST angle of any of the umpires, that's why the PU overruled his partner to begin with (I know he shouldn't have but that's a different discussion altogether)

Also, the discussion has nothing to do with resumes and whether or not I would be happy to work the World Series or not. It's about positioning.

Pete Booth