The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 12, 2018, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question Water break?

3rd inning. Pitcher has been going long time in the 90 degree heat (probably 40 pitches in one half inning). He calls time and asks for water from dugout. I allow it. he takes 2 drinks and gets back to mound quickly and resumes play.

Opposing coach goes ballistic on me stating "did you just allow a water break? Ive been coaching 35 years and never have i ever seen that". He continues to make remarks throughout the game regarding "so if we walk the next batter can my pitcher get a drink?".

I was not going to be that umpire who didnt allow a kid a drink of water that then passed out or something.

This was a 14u REC league game. However, woudl this be allowed in NFHS playoff game/etc? I know being rec i "relax" some rules, but i couldnt find one about "no water breaks". I told the coach it was my judgement and the pitcher didnt lollygag or anything and was quick.
Old Sat May 12, 2018, 09:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
3rd inning. Pitcher has been going long time in the 90 degree heat (probably 40 pitches in one half inning). He calls time and asks for water from dugout. I allow it. he takes 2 drinks and gets back to mound quickly and resumes play.

Opposing coach goes ballistic on me stating "did you just allow a water break? Ive been coaching 35 years and never have i ever seen that". He continues to make remarks throughout the game regarding "so if we walk the next batter can my pitcher get a drink?".

I was not going to be that umpire who didnt allow a kid a drink of water that then passed out or something.

This was a 14u REC league game. However, woudl this be allowed in NFHS playoff game/etc? I know being rec i "relax" some rules, but i couldnt find one about "no water breaks". I told the coach it was my judgement and the pitcher didnt lollygag or anything and was quick.
Did you shut the coach down? You should've.
Old Sat May 12, 2018, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly I didn’t know what to say. He kept hounding me about it being ridiculous to allow a after break and all I could think to say was “I made a judegement that his health was being affecting and allowed him short water break”. I knew I’d never seen a rule prohibiting such a break, especially in the heat of the day for a pitcher running long...
Old Sat May 12, 2018, 10:03pm
Administrator

Years ago in an AAU Boys' 16U Nationals being played in Cocoa Beach, Florida, in the middle of August and the Heat Index was easily over 100F. I had a F2 catch a fast ball right down the middle. He sat there for a second and then rocked back on his heels and landed on his tuchus. I called time and we walked over to his team's dugot and we took a 60 second water break. The opposing HC never complained. Only idiot coaches acted like the one in your game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 13, 2018, 07:53am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Honestly I didn’t know what to say. He kept hounding me about it being ridiculous to allow a after break and all I could think to say was “I made a judegement that his health was being affecting and allowed him short water break”. I knew I’d never seen a rule prohibiting such a break, especially in the heat of the day for a pitcher running long...
And yet, it's common practice to allow a pitcher to take one or two practice pitches after being hit by a batted ball. Same difference, IMO.

Your reply to him could have been "Coach, I'd do the same for your pitcher."

What a maroon.
Old Sun May 13, 2018, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Honestly I didn’t know what to say. He kept hounding me
If a coach keeps hounding you, you should know what to say.

OTOH, maybe the coach wanted to leave to find a cool place to sit. I nthat case, good job keeping him there.
Old Sun May 13, 2018, 07:56pm
Coach Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
if a coach keeps hounding you, you should know what to say.

Otoh, maybe the coach wanted to leave to find a cool place to sit. I nthat case, good job keeping him there.
lol
Baseball Instructor / Coach
Old Sun May 13, 2018, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ain't got no problem with that. I can't call time to drink myself (I hydrate between innings), but sometimes players need to drink if it's hot, and they may not have enough time if they were at bat/on base in the prior half inning.
Old Tue May 15, 2018, 12:14am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Ain't got no problem with that. I can't call time to drink myself (I hydrate between innings), but sometimes players need to drink if it's hot, and they may not have enough time if they were at bat/on base in the prior half inning.

Actually, you most certainly can stop the game to hydrate yourself. Especially if you are umpiring the Plate when the temperatures are extremely high no matter what is the humidity level.

I have umpired baseball in central Florida during late July and early August, and even with proper hydration one can hydrate during the inning especially when one is on the Plate.

Mark, Jr., and I have umpired numerous fast pitch softball tournaments here in Ohio and Mark, Jr., umpired an ASA/USA Softball National in Chattanooga, TN one summer where umpires were dropping left and right.

If you feel the need for water, by all means stop the game and drink some.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 15, 2018, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If you feel the need for water, by all means stop the game and drink some.
Given the emphasis the NFHS has made in recent years on proper hydration and the litigious society we currently have, I can't believe any UIC or TD worth his/her salt would complain if an umpire took 30 seconds to get a drink of water on a hot day. It's certainly a shorter delay than having to cart an umpire off the field because he/she collapsed.
Old Thu May 17, 2018, 09:14am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Given the emphasis the NFHS has made in recent years on proper hydration and the litigious society we currently have, I can't believe any UIC or TD worth his/her salt would complain if an umpire took 30 seconds to get a drink of water on a hot day. It's certainly a shorter delay than having to cart an umpire off the field because he/she collapsed.
Agreed.

Paraphrasing from a basketball clinician: Once the ball is dead, the game can't start again until you're ready.