The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Water break? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/103830-water-break.html)

BSBAL18 Sat May 12, 2018 08:57pm

Water break?

3rd inning. Pitcher has been going long time in the 90 degree heat (probably 40 pitches in one half inning). He calls time and asks for water from dugout. I allow it. he takes 2 drinks and gets back to mound quickly and resumes play.

Opposing coach goes ballistic on me stating "did you just allow a water break? Ive been coaching 35 years and never have i ever seen that". He continues to make remarks throughout the game regarding "so if we walk the next batter can my pitcher get a drink?".

I was not going to be that umpire who didnt allow a kid a drink of water that then passed out or something.

This was a 14u REC league game. However, woudl this be allowed in NFHS playoff game/etc? I know being rec i "relax" some rules, but i couldnt find one about "no water breaks". I told the coach it was my judgement and the pitcher didnt lollygag or anything and was quick.

Rich Sat May 12, 2018 09:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1021515)
3rd inning. Pitcher has been going long time in the 90 degree heat (probably 40 pitches in one half inning). He calls time and asks for water from dugout. I allow it. he takes 2 drinks and gets back to mound quickly and resumes play.

Opposing coach goes ballistic on me stating "did you just allow a water break? Ive been coaching 35 years and never have i ever seen that". He continues to make remarks throughout the game regarding "so if we walk the next batter can my pitcher get a drink?".

I was not going to be that umpire who didnt allow a kid a drink of water that then passed out or something.

This was a 14u REC league game. However, woudl this be allowed in NFHS playoff game/etc? I know being rec i "relax" some rules, but i couldnt find one about "no water breaks". I told the coach it was my judgement and the pitcher didnt lollygag or anything and was quick.

Did you shut the coach down? You should've.

BSBAL18 Sat May 12, 2018 09:39pm

Honestly I didn’t know what to say. He kept hounding me about it being ridiculous to allow a after break and all I could think to say was “I made a judegement that his health was being affecting and allowed him short water break”. I knew I’d never seen a rule prohibiting such a break, especially in the heat of the day for a pitcher running long...

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat May 12, 2018 10:03pm

Years ago in an AAU Boys' 16U Nationals being played in Cocoa Beach, Florida, in the middle of August and the Heat Index was easily over 100F. I had a F2 catch a fast ball right down the middle. He sat there for a second and then rocked back on his heels and landed on his tuchus. I called time and we walked over to his team's dugot and we took a 60 second water break. The opposing HC never complained. Only idiot coaches acted like the one in your game.

MTD, Sr.

CT1 Sun May 13, 2018 07:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1021517)
Honestly I didn’t know what to say. He kept hounding me about it being ridiculous to allow a after break and all I could think to say was “I made a judegement that his health was being affecting and allowed him short water break”. I knew I’d never seen a rule prohibiting such a break, especially in the heat of the day for a pitcher running long...

And yet, it's common practice to allow a pitcher to take one or two practice pitches after being hit by a batted ball. Same difference, IMO.

Your reply to him could have been "Coach, I'd do the same for your pitcher."

What a maroon.

bob jenkins Sun May 13, 2018 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1021517)
Honestly I didn’t know what to say. He kept hounding me

If a coach keeps hounding you, you should know what to say.

OTOH, maybe the coach wanted to leave to find a cool place to sit. I nthat case, good job keeping him there.

CoachPaul Sun May 13, 2018 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1021520)
if a coach keeps hounding you, you should know what to say.

Otoh, maybe the coach wanted to leave to find a cool place to sit. I nthat case, good job keeping him there.

lol

ilyazhito Sun May 13, 2018 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSBAL18 (Post 1021515)

Ain't got no problem with that. I can't call time to drink myself (I hydrate between innings), but sometimes players need to drink if it's hot, and they may not have enough time if they were at bat/on base in the prior half inning.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue May 15, 2018 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1021527)
Ain't got no problem with that. I can't call time to drink myself (I hydrate between innings), but sometimes players need to drink if it's hot, and they may not have enough time if they were at bat/on base in the prior half inning.

Actually, you most certainly can stop the game to hydrate yourself. Especially if you are umpiring the Plate when the temperatures are extremely high no matter what is the humidity level.

I have umpired baseball in central Florida during late July and early August, and even with proper hydration one can hydrate during the inning especially when one is on the Plate.

Mark, Jr., and I have umpired numerous fast pitch softball tournaments here in Ohio and Mark, Jr., umpired an ASA/USA Softball National in Chattanooga, TN one summer where umpires were dropping left and right.

If you feel the need for water, by all means stop the game and drink some.

MTD, Sr.

Altor Tue May 15, 2018 07:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1021569)
If you feel the need for water, by all means stop the game and drink some.

Given the emphasis the NFHS has made in recent years on proper hydration and the litigious society we currently have, I can't believe any UIC or TD worth his/her salt would complain if an umpire took 30 seconds to get a drink of water on a hot day. It's certainly a shorter delay than having to cart an umpire off the field because he/she collapsed.

jTheUmp Thu May 17, 2018 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1021573)
Given the emphasis the NFHS has made in recent years on proper hydration and the litigious society we currently have, I can't believe any UIC or TD worth his/her salt would complain if an umpire took 30 seconds to get a drink of water on a hot day. It's certainly a shorter delay than having to cart an umpire off the field because he/she collapsed.

Agreed.

Paraphrasing from a basketball clinician: Once the ball is dead, the game can't start again until you're ready.