Thread: Water break?
View Single Post
Old Sun May 13, 2018, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
3rd inning. Pitcher has been going long time in the 90 degree heat (probably 40 pitches in one half inning). He calls time and asks for water from dugout. I allow it. he takes 2 drinks and gets back to mound quickly and resumes play.

Opposing coach goes ballistic on me stating "did you just allow a water break? Ive been coaching 35 years and never have i ever seen that". He continues to make remarks throughout the game regarding "so if we walk the next batter can my pitcher get a drink?".

I was not going to be that umpire who didnt allow a kid a drink of water that then passed out or something.

This was a 14u REC league game. However, woudl this be allowed in NFHS playoff game/etc? I know being rec i "relax" some rules, but i couldnt find one about "no water breaks". I told the coach it was my judgement and the pitcher didnt lollygag or anything and was quick.
Ain't got no problem with that. I can't call time to drink myself (I hydrate between innings), but sometimes players need to drink if it's hot, and they may not have enough time if they were at bat/on base in the prior half inning.