The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 20, 2018, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Pitch Limits for Ambidextrous Pitcher

NFHS Rules-Colorado

Yesterday in a JV game, I watched a left handed pitcher throw 85 pitches. After 85 pitches, he switched his glove over to the other hand and threw right handed finishing the game. Umpires handled it well and let him continue throwing. Pitcher's coach said that he had received permission from the CHSAA Baseball Rules interpreter that allowed him to throw 85 pitches left handed and 85 pitches right handed. I found Rule 6-1-6 Situation A in NFHS Casebook that contradicts coach's comment. It says that pitching limitations are to apply to the player as an individual, not as a left handed or right handed pitcher.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Apr 20, 2018, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limacon2 View Post
NFHS Rules-Colorado

Yesterday in a JV game, I watched a left handed pitcher throw 85 pitches. After 85 pitches, he switched his glove over to the other hand and threw right handed finishing the game. Umpires handled it well and let him continue throwing. Pitcher's coach said that he had received permission from the CHSAA Baseball Rules interpreter that allowed him to throw 85 pitches left handed and 85 pitches right handed. I found Rule 6-1-6 Situation A in NFHS Casebook that contradicts coach's comment. It says that pitching limitations are to apply to the player as an individual, not as a left handed or right handed pitcher.

Thoughts?
A State can override many such "administrative" rules. No idea whether that's true in this case or not.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2018, 09:37am
TODO: creative title here

(MN Interpretation, check local listings):

Coach, umpires are not involved in pitch-count limits. We're going to let him continue to pitch; if you feel he violated the pitch-count rule you can file a report with the state high school league after the game and they'll take care of it.
Old Fri Apr 20, 2018, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limacon2 View Post
NFHS Rules-Colorado

Thoughts?
Pitch limits are set by the states, not NFHS.