The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

pitcher throws pitch backwards

I was working a game the other night and with no runners on, 1-0 count, pitcher starts to pitch, well, she ended up throwing the ball backwards, as in, she "pitched" it to 2nd base. Ball just slipped from her hand as she was at the top of her windmill.

I've never seen any rule to cover that, so I just added a ball to the count and we played on. Didn't get any complaints from any coaches. Was that the correct call? What if there were runners on base?

I know in Baseball, this would be a balk, but in Softball, would this just be an illegal pitch and add a ball to the count and advance each runner one base?
Old Fri Nov 01, 2013, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Its not an illegal pitch, its just a pitched ball that slipped out of the pitchers hand. It is a live ball, and if runners are on base they are free to advance at their own risk. And yes it is a ball on the batter.
Old Sat Nov 02, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
I was working a game the other night and with no runners on, 1-0 count, pitcher starts to pitch, well, she ended up throwing the ball backwards, as in, she "pitched" it to 2nd base. Ball just slipped from her hand as she was at the top of her windmill.

I've never seen any rule to cover that, so I just added a ball to the count and we played on. Didn't get any complaints from any coaches. Was that the correct call? What if there were runners on base?

I know in Baseball, this would be a balk, but in Softball, would this just be an illegal pitch and add a ball to the count and advance each runner one base?
For ASA, it is 6FP.11. "If the ball slips from the pitcher's hand during the delivery, a ball is declared on the batter, the ball will remain live and the runner(s) may advance at their own risk"
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I had F1 do this this past weekend. There were no runners on but the offensive coach is holding his hands out like what do we do? I laughed to myself because this was discussed this week. It seems like if you talk about it, it will happen soon.

First time that I have had F1 lose the ball backwards. I have F1 have the pitch come off at an angle but not ever backwards.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopachunts View Post
I had F1 do this this past weekend. There were no runners on but the offensive coach is holding his hands out like what do we do? I laughed to myself because this was discussed this week. It seems like if you talk about it, it will happen soon.

First time that I have had F1 lose the ball backwards. I have F1 have the pitch come off at an angle but not ever backwards.
Now, if the batter squared to bunt and did not pull the bat back.......
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'll see your
and I raise you
Old Thu Nov 07, 2013, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Chances are if you wait long enough, the batter will pull it back before the ball reaches the vicinity of the strike zone!
Old Sun Dec 22, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

But if you reeeeealy need that strike, you know like in a two hour long JV game and it's way after beer-30....
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 10:43am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
But if you reeeeealy need that strike, you know like in a two hour long JV game and it's way after beer-30....
I know what BEER-30 is but whats a JV game
Old Mon Dec 23, 2013, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
I know what BEER-30 is but whats a JV game
JV is Junior Varsity. High school B team, also sometimes generically subvarsity.
Old Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:09am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
JV is Junior Varsity. High school B team, also sometimes generically subvarsity.
Steve it was meant as a jke as I do very few non Varsity Softball games.
Old Tue Dec 24, 2013, 11:04am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Steve it was meant as a jke as I do very few non Varsity Softball games.
And I do a few varsity games that are essentially JV games with older players.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Dec 25, 2013, 12:17am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
And I do a few varsity games that are essentially JV games with older players.
Yeah we have 2 schools like that. Both schools are 1 umpire mechanics. I make a day of them as they are in scenic areas 50 and 70 miles away. Plus it helps that the final pay for each game is $100.

Last edited by Insane Blue; Wed Dec 25, 2013 at 12:23am.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 03:02pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Yeah we have 2 schools like that. Both schools are 1 umpire mechanics. I make a day of them as they are in scenic areas 50 and 70 miles away. Plus it helps that the final pay for each game is $100.
Frankly, I'm surprised that your high school athletic association will allow that. It's basically telling those two schools, "You guys suck, so you only deserve one umpire."

In our neck, we have at least two schools that rarely win a softball game. One of them is very close to my work commute route, so I've done probably five or six of their games each season. I honestly cannot recall any of their games going beyond five innings, thanks to our run-rule, and they typically give up 15 to 25 runs a game.

And yet, these schools field varsity teams every year, and we provide their games two-umpire crews. We don't treat them any differently.

Well, I say that, but I'm sure there are a few "veteran" umpires in our association who refuse to accept these schools' games when they get assigned them. I like working these games because I'm usually teamed up with a partner who needs experience. And I usually see rule violations in these games that keep us on our toes.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I'm sure there are a few "veteran" umpires in our association who refuse to accept these schools' games when they get assigned them. I like working these games because I'm usually teamed up with a partner who needs experience. And I usually see rule violations in these games that keep us on our toes.
exactly