The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitch Limits for Ambidextrous Pitcher (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/103779-pitch-limits-ambidextrous-pitcher.html)

Limacon2 Fri Apr 20, 2018 08:48am

Pitch Limits for Ambidextrous Pitcher

NFHS Rules-Colorado

Yesterday in a JV game, I watched a left handed pitcher throw 85 pitches. After 85 pitches, he switched his glove over to the other hand and threw right handed finishing the game. Umpires handled it well and let him continue throwing. Pitcher's coach said that he had received permission from the CHSAA Baseball Rules interpreter that allowed him to throw 85 pitches left handed and 85 pitches right handed. I found Rule 6-1-6 Situation A in NFHS Casebook that contradicts coach's comment. It says that pitching limitations are to apply to the player as an individual, not as a left handed or right handed pitcher.

Thoughts?

bob jenkins Fri Apr 20, 2018 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limacon2 (Post 1020969)
NFHS Rules-Colorado

Yesterday in a JV game, I watched a left handed pitcher throw 85 pitches. After 85 pitches, he switched his glove over to the other hand and threw right handed finishing the game. Umpires handled it well and let him continue throwing. Pitcher's coach said that he had received permission from the CHSAA Baseball Rules interpreter that allowed him to throw 85 pitches left handed and 85 pitches right handed. I found Rule 6-1-6 Situation A in NFHS Casebook that contradicts coach's comment. It says that pitching limitations are to apply to the player as an individual, not as a left handed or right handed pitcher.

Thoughts?

A State can override many such "administrative" rules. No idea whether that's true in this case or not.

jTheUmp Fri Apr 20, 2018 09:37am

(MN Interpretation, check local listings):

Coach, umpires are not involved in pitch-count limits. We're going to let him continue to pitch; if you feel he violated the pitch-count rule you can file a report with the state high school league after the game and they'll take care of it.

Rich Ives Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limacon2 (Post 1020969)
NFHS Rules-Colorado

Thoughts?

Pitch limits are set by the states, not NFHS.