The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 07, 2017, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 799
Home Run?

Batted ball hits the top of the fence, hits the foul pole, and then falls over the fence for a home run.

At what point, though, does it become a home run? When it hits the foul pole, or after it falls over the fence?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 03:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Eastern Connecticut
Posts: 129
Generally the foul pole above the wall height is a home run, unless the ground rules indicate otherwise. It would then be a home run when it hit the foul pole.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbilica View Post
Generally the foul pole above the wall height is a home run, unless the ground rules indicate otherwise. It would then be a home run when it hit the foul pole.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
By rule hitting the foul pole above the wall height is a home run because it has left the playing field in flight and is a fair ball. Groundrules cannot change this.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 09:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 682
Hitting the top of the fence in fair territory and bounding over the wall would make it a home run. Hitting the foul pole (with a normally located foul pole) might confirm it was a fair ball when it hit the top of the fence. There is a possibility that it was a foul ball depending on where it hit the top of the fence and the configuration of the field. PBUC/MLBUM does allow a ground rule to supersede their "top of the wall" interp. I can't picture how that would happen.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 08, 2017, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Hitting the top of the fence in fair territory and bounding over the wall would make it a home run. Hitting the foul pole (with a normally located foul pole) might confirm it was a fair ball when it hit the top of the fence. There is a possibility that it was a foul ball depending on where it hit the top of the fence and the configuration of the field. PBUC/MLBUM does allow a ground rule to supersede their "top of the wall" interp. I can't picture how that would happen.
I can say with certainty that in this case the ball hit the top of the fence in fair territory, then hit the foul pole.

Probably one of those things I'll never see again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 02:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I can say with certainty that in this case the ball hit the top of the fence in fair territory, then hit the foul pole.

Probably one of those things I'll never see again.
Home run. EZ PZ.
__________________
Powder blue since 1998. Longtime forum lurker.
Umpiring Goals: NCAA D1 postseason/ISF Certification/Nat'l Indicator Fraternity
2016 Game Counts -- Travel Ball: 57 | Juco: 32 | HS: 14 | NAIA: 10 | NCAA: 5 | NCAA Fall Ball: 12 | Camp: 5 | Three-man: 30 | EJ's: 1

2017 Game Counts -- Travel Ball: 34 | Juco: 32 | HS: 14 | NCAA: 2 | Three-man: 20 | EJ's: 1
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 09:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 150
BAS's question is not, was this a home run, but when did it become a home run.

First event, hit the top of the fence in fair territory. If the ball bounced back into the field, this would not be a home run, so hitting the top of the fence is not enough to call it a home run. If it bounces away from the field into DBT, then it is a home run after the bounce, when it leaves the playing field.

In BAS's case, the ball bounces parallel to the fence toward the fair pole. Unless the field geometry is weird, this call is either over the fence or over the field on it's way to the fair pole, it is not a home run yet. When the ball hits the fair pole above the top of the fence, it is now a home run and whether it now falls onto field or into DBT fair or foul does not matter.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Aug 17, 2017, 10:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
BAS's question is not, was this a home run, but when did it become a home run.

First event, hit the top of the fence in fair territory. If the ball bounced back into the field, this would not be a home run, so hitting the top of the fence is not enough to call it a home run. If it bounces away from the field into DBT, then it is a home run after the bounce, when it leaves the playing field.

In BAS's case, the ball bounces parallel to the fence toward the fair pole. Unless the field geometry is weird, this call is either over the fence or over the field on it's way to the fair pole, it is not a home run yet. When the ball hits the fair pole above the top of the fence, it is now a home run and whether it now falls onto field or into DBT fair or foul does not matter.
I didn't see a parallel bounce in the OP but he might have meant that.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Yesterday, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
In baseball, a home run (abbreviated HR) is scored when the ball is hit in such a way that the batter is able to circle the bases and reach home safely in one play without any errors being committed by the defensive team in the process.
192.168.1.1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't try this at home! mbyron Baseball 2 Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:00am
You CAN go home again. . . Scrapper1 Basketball 6 Mon Dec 03, 2007 09:14am
Home Run or? jimpiano Baseball 19 Wed Aug 22, 2007 05:16pm
I'm home Adam Basketball 11 Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:28pm
Out on a home run? mastdk96 Softball 9 Thu May 26, 2005 04:37pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1