The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Home Run? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/102860-home-run.html)

bas2456 Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:51pm

Home Run?

Batted ball hits the top of the fence, hits the foul pole, and then falls over the fence for a home run.

At what point, though, does it become a home run? When it hits the foul pole, or after it falls over the fence?

Mbilica Tue Aug 08, 2017 03:47am

Generally the foul pole above the wall height is a home run, unless the ground rules indicate otherwise. It would then be a home run when it hit the foul pole.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Rich Ives Tue Aug 08, 2017 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbilica (Post 1008578)
Generally the foul pole above the wall height is a home run, unless the ground rules indicate otherwise. It would then be a home run when it hit the foul pole.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

By rule hitting the foul pole above the wall height is a home run because it has left the playing field in flight and is a fair ball. Groundrules cannot change this.

umpjim Tue Aug 08, 2017 09:59am

Hitting the top of the fence in fair territory and bounding over the wall would make it a home run. Hitting the foul pole (with a normally located foul pole) might confirm it was a fair ball when it hit the top of the fence. There is a possibility that it was a foul ball depending on where it hit the top of the fence and the configuration of the field. PBUC/MLBUM does allow a ground rule to supersede their "top of the wall" interp. I can't picture how that would happen.

bas2456 Tue Aug 08, 2017 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjim (Post 1008592)
Hitting the top of the fence in fair territory and bounding over the wall would make it a home run. Hitting the foul pole (with a normally located foul pole) might confirm it was a fair ball when it hit the top of the fence. There is a possibility that it was a foul ball depending on where it hit the top of the fence and the configuration of the field. PBUC/MLBUM does allow a ground rule to supersede their "top of the wall" interp. I can't picture how that would happen.

I can say with certainty that in this case the ball hit the top of the fence in fair territory, then hit the foul pole.

Probably one of those things I'll never see again.

teebob21 Thu Aug 17, 2017 02:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1008616)
I can say with certainty that in this case the ball hit the top of the fence in fair territory, then hit the foul pole.

Probably one of those things I'll never see again.

Home run. EZ PZ.

john5396 Thu Aug 17, 2017 09:14am

BAS's question is not, was this a home run, but when did it become a home run.

First event, hit the top of the fence in fair territory. If the ball bounced back into the field, this would not be a home run, so hitting the top of the fence is not enough to call it a home run. If it bounces away from the field into DBT, then it is a home run after the bounce, when it leaves the playing field.

In BAS's case, the ball bounces parallel to the fence toward the fair pole. Unless the field geometry is weird, this call is either over the fence or over the field on it's way to the fair pole, it is not a home run yet. When the ball hits the fair pole above the top of the fence, it is now a home run and whether it now falls onto field or into DBT fair or foul does not matter.

umpjim Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5396 (Post 1008773)
BAS's question is not, was this a home run, but when did it become a home run.

First event, hit the top of the fence in fair territory. If the ball bounced back into the field, this would not be a home run, so hitting the top of the fence is not enough to call it a home run. If it bounces away from the field into DBT, then it is a home run after the bounce, when it leaves the playing field.

In BAS's case, the ball bounces parallel to the fence toward the fair pole. Unless the field geometry is weird, this call is either over the fence or over the field on it's way to the fair pole, it is not a home run yet. When the ball hits the fair pole above the top of the fence, it is now a home run and whether it now falls onto field or into DBT fair or foul does not matter.

I didn't see a parallel bounce in the OP but he might have meant that.