The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 04, 2017, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Bizarre American Association situation

From the "Why you study ALL the rules" file.
This evening's game between the Grand Prairie Airhogs and the Lincoln Saltdogs featured one of the most bizarre ways to score runs. After the Home pitcher walked a batter to load the bases, he threw the ball towards the home dugout, intending, presumably, to get a replacement ball. He did this, it appears, after all the runners had reached their next base, but without calling time, so, with a live ball. The umpires awarded each runner two bases, resulting in two runs scored.
The video can be viewed here:
https://www.americanassociationbaseb...y-3?replay=yes
The relevant action occurs at about the 3 hour 14 minute mark, with the fallout and explanations taking a few minutes to get to the press box.
Old Tue Jul 04, 2017, 07:05am
Official & ***** Member

Wow. That's really bizarre.

Not at all surprised that the ejected manager was Billy Martin, Jr.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2017, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

So, I'm thinking about specific ruling for this play. I primarily work NFHS, so I'm looking at the NFHS book for this.

When I watch the video, R1 had not reached 2nd base at the time of the throw by F1. The announcers indicate that the umpires called the ball dead when a bench personnel picked up the ball. So here is my play.

R2, R1, Ball 4 to Batter. R2 touched 3rd, and BR touches first, R1 is between 1st and second when F1 throws the ball into foul territory and the ball comes to rest. A bench person comes onto the field and picks up the ball and carries it into dead ball territory. At the time the bench person touches the ball, R1 has touched 2nd.

Where do you place R1, is this still 2 bases from the time of the throw, so R1 to 3rd, and BR to 2nd? I think this is still a throw that goes out of play or is touched by a spectator, the fact that the ball came to rest does not change that this is a thrown ball, so TOT is still correct.

I assume the ruling is the same for OBR?
Old Wed Jul 05, 2017, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

If a bench person picked up a live ball OUTSIDE the dugout, wouldn't that be an immediate dead ball and runner placement at the discretion of the umpires?
Old Thu Jul 06, 2017, 06:34am
Official & ***** Member

Base awards are performed in the order they occurred, so R1 is awarded (1) 1st on the walk, then (2) home on the ball thrown out of play.

Same for BR.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2017, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5396 View Post
The announcers indicate that the umpires called the ball dead when a bench personnel picked up the ball.
Wouldn't that be "intentional interference by a person authorized to be on the field" -- and, thus, umpire discretion?
Old Fri Jul 07, 2017, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Cool

baseball is a very popular game .. ))